Quoted: Medical School Application

MSmentor010

DO/systems-based/Rotations
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do allopathic and osteopathic admissions committees permanently (for the cycle) reject applications?

I'm currently taking my one outstanding pre-req, along with several other science courses. I hope to do well and raise my GPA, while demonstrating the ability to handle to tough course load. I have the intended courses on my application.

Would it be OK to submit my application now? Or will that possibly hurt my chances?

I would go ahead and submit your application. If you wait really late with your primary application, it could possibly push everything back further than you would like. It takes awhile for it to process, and then if the medical school is backed up on their applications that can delay your acceptance as well. Now, some schools won't send you a secondary application if both your MCAT and your gpa are not good and you have nothing else that stands out on your application that is stellar. Also, a lot of schools do rolling admissions, and the later you apply could cause some problems since there are fewer spots available. They don't usually reject an applicant permanently (after they sent you a secondary application) this early unless they see that there is no way that you can redeem yourself. They'll see that you are taking a hard course load, and they'll more likely wait to see if you can handle the hard coursework. If you are really concerned about your gpa but your MCAT is good, you can always mention something about why your gpa has suffered in your personal statement. Also, you can always call admissions counselors and talk to them about how that particular school does their acceptances and rejections. I just don't think it will benefit you to wait. I hope this helps you out a little! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.