Quoted: Doing better in clerkships

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A clinical rotations medical student asked:

I flunked a rotation. Now I am on my last chance and I feel I have gotten a reputation as a "bad" student, despite doing very well during my basic science years. I tend to be shy and submissive and easily bullied as a result.

Is there any methods you know that I can adopt to guarantee that I make it through the rest of my rotations?

Please help.

There is no simple answer to your question and hopefully you can get a variety of answers. I will provide some thoughts from a faculty perspective and hopefully some of our students will provide their insights as well.

First, although like anywhere else in the world, trainees (students/residents/fellows) can get "reputations", I think that at the medical student level in particular, attendings on new services are less likely to carry a strong bias based on this. First of all, they are unlikely to have heard much about what happened and second of all, attendings generally trust their own insight into medical students more than what they've heard before.

What you need to do then, is be up-front about the problems you know you have performing well. At the beginning of the rotation, tell the senior resident that you are not comfortable and ask them how you can work well on the team. Ask them to give you reading or other assignments to present to the group that will show your strengths better than may come up in rounds.

If you start to see a problem develop on a rotation, go to the attending very early. Do not wait for the middle or end of the rotation. Honestly explain what is going on to the attending and ask for advice. Listen to what they want you to do to succeed.

Finally, if you have any say in it, try to set yourelf up so that you have a rotation or two that is relatively benign. In other words, look to do a couple of core rotations in areas known for less "pimping" to help develop your confidence.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

You could try going to the dean of students and mention that you're trying very hard and ask what sort of resources are available to a student like you. School by school, this is hard to judge, but this might wok in my school. If you have a confidnetial wellcnter stat thre and he she ay advsise youl.