QUOTED: Applying to be rejected??

MSmentor020

DO/Single student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First a little bit about me: graduated with my bachelors 2 yrs ago, with a non-science major. Undergrad GPA is not so good (around 2.9 science, and 3.1 cumulative). My grades were all over the place, but I especially did badly during my last semester. I took the DAT in 2003 and my AA was alright (18) although my PAT was low (14). Since graduation, I've done some traveling, gotten a job, and got married.

Anyways, on to my question: I recently moved to (STATE) and would like to do a post-bac to make up for some of my grades. I'm looking at (SPECIFIC POST_BAC) Post Bac program. This program specifically requires that the applicant first be rejected from (SCHOOL) in order to be accepted into the post bac. I spoke to someone at the school and this requirement cannot be waived. My plan is this: apply to the Dental School this year and get rejected (I honestly can't see myself getting in, plus as of now I'm still not a (STATE) resident). Then once rejected, I would go ahead and apply next year to the Post Bac program (when I will have become a (STATE) resident). Does this sound like a good or bad idea?

I really would like to do this Post Bac since it basically gaurantees admission to the Dental School if you maintain a certain gpa.

Is there a downside to this plan? Please help!

**I did remove all identifying information from the requests of the poster.

First off, please note that I am NOT a dental student. However, I do have some knowledge of post-bacc programs so I hope that this information helps you. I do hope that one of my fellow mentors or anyone who knows more about the dental field chimes in soon!

Let's start with the obvious. Your undergrad GPA could be better. I think it shows great character that you're striving to achieve this goal in your life and that you're willing to do whatever it takes. Post-bacc programs are a great way to raise your GPA and moreover, to show any ADCOM that you're able to handle the workload and that you're serious about this profession. I believe that the post-bacc program will help you in all these ways.

As for your "plan". Truthfully, I can't tell you if that's the right or wrong way of doing things. I think that's a personal decision all the while knowing that every year that goes by, you delay your entrance to dental school along with the competition of applicants increasing every year.

The post-bacc program you listed in your post seems to have a really good matriculation rate into their own dental school, however, there are only 8 students in the program every year. Thus, the competition just to get into the post-bacc program might be very hard. So keep that in mind.

Personally, I would apply to a broader range of post-baccs. Maybe with some research, you could find more in your current state. But you should always have some kind of back-up available to you if needed.

Secondly, remember your goal. Often times people get so overwhelmed on what they could accomplish in the future and what's to come that they forget what they need to do at the current moment to accomplish that goal. So stay focused.

I really do wish you the best of luck and I know this information was very generalized but I'm hoping that others that have a greater knowledge of dental ADCOMs and schools chimes in.

Best of luck to you! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.