Quitting your first job-- when is it ok? how hard is it to find the second job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Throwaway for obvious reasons.

I landed a job in a sub specialty and I've decided it's not what I want to do long-term. I want to go back to general surgery.

How soon is it OK to quit your first job?

How hard is it to find a good general surgery job? (I have family on the West Coast and curious about jobs in those locales if anyone knows the general climate.)

Any advice would be appreciated. I plan to keep this job until it's ok to leave, and I will work hard for my patients and my learning ... but this is not the right job for me, the pay is bad, and I don't like the location.

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW- yes, there were some red flags, but it was a surprise and a hard reality to accept that the job wasn’t right ... I’ll obviously try to be more circumspect with whatever job I pursue next ...

I would stay for 1-2 years if possible, but if it's really an untenable situation or the pay is that bad, it's OK to leave. Especially if you have a good explanation like you want to practice general instead of subspecialty, I don't think new practices will be that concerned. I would also wait until you have signed the contract with the next gig before you do anything. Take your time to look and make sure this is a better opportunity and location. Leaving your first job is very common, I think like 50% leave within the first few years. However if you start stacking up multiple 1-2 year jobs on your CV, that will start to look like you were the problem, not the job.

Reactions: 1 users