Quit Podiatry School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrie0820

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
__

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you gave the issue serious thought and came out with the same outcome, then go for it. Your time, finances, health, and happiness depend on it. I would tread lightly if grades are the issue, because MD/DO schools are certainly not easier. IMO, we are in a great field, but I have seen several students leave to other professions and are happy with their choices. Of course, inform your school. It may seem daunting but they will be supportive (I know of a student who got LORs from faculty members).

Had a classmate apply to DO school after our first year of Podiatry school. He made the switch when he decided that he really did enjoy more than just foot and ankle pathology and realized the rural setting he wanted to live in would be much harder to pull off as a Podiatrist. He was ranked at the top of our class and had good entrance stats so getting accepted to a DO school wasn't an issue. Unfortunately he had to apply to DO programs the next fall and start 1st year all over a year later, and that was with the DO program at our own University. So while I am a 1st year resident, he is a 3rd year student. I would be surprised if you could start the application process now and get into school to start next fall...so you'd be in the same boat, falling 2 years behind. That's not a great reason to stay in a field you don't really like, but something to consider. You also have to remember that nobody in MD/DO programs is guaranteed their specialty of choice, unless that choice is Family Med. I would do it though if you believe you'll be a competitive DO applicant and have no desire to pursue Podiatry.

Members don't see this ad :)
As above, you are going to fall at least 2 years behind your current peers. You also will likely need a letter from your dean stating you are in good standing. You will also be asked at your interviews why you decided to switch careers, and why you now are certain that the DO/MD path you are shooting for is the correct one that you are 110% committed to. Selection committees will see you as a potential "flight risk", and you'll have to convince them of the opposite. Good luck.

As was kindof stated before, if you have have pretty good grades and you dont feel its the right choice for you, quit now. Being behind your peers by 2,3,4 years shouldnt really matter when it comes to your own happiness.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a perfect example of that. I turned 26 this year. I applied to osteopathic schools and podiatry schools for the fall of 2012 when I was 24 years old. I had a MCAT of 25. Ultimately I wanted to do become a DO physician but realized that maybe it wasnt a right profession for me and that I wouldn't be a good doctor and that maybe life had different plans for me. As I'm thinking back, I was really immature that time. Got 1 interview from a DO school in California but got waitlisted. I had a few interviews and acceptances from podiatry schools and ultimately decided to do podiatry school because I didnt want to waste any more time. I shadowed a few podiatrists and had my own podiatrist because I was born with a high arched right foot and as I was growing up right foot was smaller than my left foot. I convinced myself that I loved podiatry and it was great to specialize and be an expert one part of the body. I really respect the field of podiatry a lot and i know it requires alot of hard work and dedication. And I still do. It's not as easy task to become a podiatrist. As I was first year, I really underestimated the amount of studying and demanding the classes were. The more I was in podiatry school the more I realized the profession wasn't for me. I didn't think I would be a good surgeon. I also was engaged at the time and got married in December of my first year. My head wasn't in podiatry fully as I was enjoying my honeymoon phase. I got behind so much that during spring time that I had to drop out and withdraw. I was so embarrassed in telling my husband but he was beyond supportive and loving of my future ambitions in becoming a DO. I had mostly W's on my transcript and thought my life was over. I was in so much debt and didn't know how I could pay all that off. I was in my lowest point in my life. In April of 2013, I went in person and talked to Midwestern University's admission counselor for their osteopathic program and talked to them about my recent drop out of podiatry school and what I need to do to improve my application. They were beyond helpful and supportive. They told me about their Master's program and that people who get above a 3.0 GPA and a standard deviation of one point below the average MCAT of the incoming DO class will have a guaranteed interview. And she said I had a shot in getting accepted into their 2 year-master's program. I'm in my second year right now, will be graduating in May 2015 and found out today that I got accepted into CCOM (Midwestern University's DO school) today and I literally cried. I studied my butt of for all those classes and recently submitted a poster abstract for a research conference since this master's program is heavily research based. I have a 3.77 GPA currently and I'll be attending their DO school for the fall of 2015. I'll be 27 and graduate at 31. However, my peers will be in their 4th year of podiatry school while I'll start my first year at DO school. And let me tell you, me dropping out of podiatry school was the best thing ever. i never regretted any moment of it for this DO acceptance. I never thought I would be in this place right now. It was all worth it! I realized more about myself and that I wasn't ready for med school (DO and podiatry) After this Master's program, I really learned how to study and succeed in medical school =)

Congratulations! I agree it's never too late to go for your true dream as we have all probably noticed, podiatry schools have MANY students in their upper twenties and older. Aren't you going to be in a lot of debt though as ccom is already expensive then plus the master's program? No worries though, DO's have way more job opportunities and usually have no problem paying their debt off. All the best :)

You would not be the first to drop out of DPM and move on to other things. Life does go on. Give it some though

i dropped out, now a engineer. decent pay with out the student dept

i dropped out, now a engineer. decent pay with out the student dept

There are many more career choices with similar or higher pay without the debt, if you are contemplating quitting I would say you may have already made your mind up.

I'd realize that the school isn't what I thought it was. The 2nd and 3rd years are nice and friendly, some are caring but some of those in influence, power and position are pretty phony, fake, insincere, and messed up. Still though I wish I was in the class of the 2nd years. I dislike my classmates as a whole, no sense of unity or togetherness, or even supporting the right people. Everyone goes their own way. Glad I'm not around them anymore.

Last edited: