Quick question re: interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NAVYMED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, but a preliminary search turned up waaay too many data points for me. Is there a resource somewhere that tells how many interviews specific programs give out per residency position? I have a list, but I'm specifically interested in Texas programs. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

NAVYMED said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but a preliminary search turned up waaay too many data points for me. Is there a resource somewhere that tells how many interviews specific programs give out per residency position? I have a list, but I'm specifically interested in Texas programs. Thanks!
I have heard a rumor from many sources that most programs interview ~10 people for every one spot.

Q

NAVYMED said:

Like Quinn said, we interview 10 for one spot. Some less competitive programs may interview more if they haven't filled inthe past, some other programs get a little saucy and interview less.

mike

Members don't see this ad :)
NAVYMED said:

go to freida (http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/) and search for EM residencies. click on any of the residency programs that come up on your search. it gives you more detailed program information. towards the bottom, it will say how many spots/year are in each program, and then a few lines below that it says, "interviews conducted last year for first year positions"

eg: according to freida, hopkins has 12 positions/year, and they interviewed 125 applicants last year for first year positions. hope that helps.

--sp

We get about 700 applicants and interview about 170 (PD leaves about 30 spots for courtesy interviews/etc) for 14 spots.

We're (Scott & White) ranking for a class of 10 this year (up two from my class) and we're interviewing right at 100. We may be a tad over or under that depending on logistics, but 10 per spot was the goal I was told.

Take care,
Jeff