EM re-application 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RMRwlnds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I just found out that I did not match into emergency medicine. It’s a terrible feeling of inadequacy. EM is the only thing I can see myself doing. I’m going to give it another try. I’m a D.O. My application was kind of a mess. I had a loss in the family near the beginning of year 3. It complicated things. I hope to start the process of getting feedback on my application Friday-might be a little tough with the coronavirus crisis. Did anyone here recover from not matching and successfully place in es the second go-around? Did go a different route with reapplying than a preliminary or transition year? I hear more schooling is an option. Curious if anyone has had any experience with that and if he or she was successful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I did. I did em research in my year off. Matched this last cycle in em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. I just found out that I did not match into emergency medicine. It’s a terrible feeling of inadequacy. EM is the only thing I can see myself doing. I’m going to give it another try. I’m a D.O. My application was kind of a mess. I had a loss in the family near the beginning of year 3. It complicated things. I hope to start the process of getting feedback on my application Friday-might be a little tough with the coronavirus crisis. Did anyone here recover from not matching and successfully place in es the second go-around? Did go a different route with reapplying than a preliminary or transition year? I hear more schooling is an option. Curious if anyone has had any experience with that and if he or she was successful. Thanks.

From a programs perspective, I've matched several residents in the past few years who didn't match the year before. They were all valuable additions, and used the extra year to boost their app and gain skills for EM. One did a critical care pre-residency fellowship, essentially a critical care transitional year. One did an medicine transitional year. Another came from our surgery transitional year at our own institution. So it can definitely be done. I have not matched anyone yet who just took another year of school or did research, though I have interviewed some and still ranked them. For me personally, I'd rather see someone get real clinical experience as a physician if they can. It allows them to hit the ground running when they start.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did. I did em research in my year off. Matched this last cycle in em.

Congratulations! I can only imagine how good you feel right now. Must have been some valuable research.

From a programs perspective, I've matched several residents in the past few years who didn't match the year before. They were all valuable additions, and used the extra year to boost their app and gain skills for EM. One did a critical care pre-residency fellowship, essentially a critical care transitional year. One did an medicine transitional year. Another came from our surgery transitional year at our own institution. So it can definitely be done. I have not matched anyone yet who just took another year of school or did research, though I have interviewed some and still ranked them. For me personally, I'd rather see someone get real clinical experience as a physician if they can. It allows them to hit the ground running when they start.
Thanks for the response. It’s comforting to know that I wouldn’t be a Pariah upon reapplying. I read somewhere on emra that a poll said 2/3 of directors would not even rank someone who is reapplying. It’s not exactly an inspiring stat. I was hoping it just wasn’t a large enough sample.

You make a lot of good points. The critical care pre-residency fellowship sounds like it would have a lot of overlap with em. I did not know there was such a thing. There can’t be many?

i was a DO, reapplicant that matched into EM the last cycle after completing a surgical prelim year. I know SOAP is closing (or has closed?) very soon, so first and foremost you need to ask yourself if youre even able to reapply. Be honest with any red flags that arent fixable, ie board failures. New SLOEs you can always obtain.
If you really want EM, I echo the thoughts of others in terms of doing something clincal. It really helps you stand out in terms of your application, and youll interview way better since you can add your own clinical experience to it, something med students can not really comprehend unless they've had the weight of actual clinical responsibilities at hand
If you SOAP, target programs with home EM programs so you can get new SLOEs and increase your chances matching at that program.
I think surgical prelims, however awful and brutal it was, really does help your application. Its generally harder, and I was lucky enough to have a really trauma heavy surgical year (6 months!). overall clinical experience wasnt EM targeted, but I wouldnt trade that experience for anything else.
Its definitely not easy. But doable, and I am thankful that I matched EM .

For any questions feel free to PM me. Also reach out to anyone on the forum who was a reapplicant to get their stories and perspective so you go into round two of the application prepared.

It's been a few years ago now, but didn't match EM, did a surgery prelim and matched to #2 choice in EM. Feel free to PM me. I would definitely do prelim year of some sort over anything else.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have any suggestions on how to find an em research position?

It was through my school’s EM program. There wasn’t much of a search. And I had worked as a study coordinator before med school so that helped me too. Sorry.

I was incredibly lucky.