quick eras publication question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galen08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just a quick question - for a meeting abstract that was peer-reviewed for acceptance and published (i.e. proceedings of the AACR), can this go under "peer reviewed journal publications/abstracts" or would it be more appropriate for "presentations/posters." thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

just a quick question - for a meeting abstract that was peer-reviewed for acceptance and published (i.e. proceedings of the AACR), can this go under "peer reviewed journal publications/abstracts" or would it be more appropriate for "presentations/posters." thanks for your help!

If the article has not yet been approved for publication, I would put it under the presentations section where obviously it has been approved.

If the article has been submitted for approval, you can always put it under journal publications/abstracts and write in "publication date pending."

You just don't want to be caught with your pants down explaining why you put it there when it wasn't really an article. Some guys (granted, very few) will be on a personal mission to fact check your application out in every detail.

If the article has not yet been approved for publication, I would put it under the presentations section where obviously it has been approved.

If the article has been submitted for approval, you can always put it under journal publications/abstracts and write in "publication date pending."

You just don't want to be caught with your pants down explaining why you put it there when it wasn't really an article. Some guys (granted, very few) will be on a personal mission to fact check your application out in every detail.

Thanks for the quick reply resxn. It may be semantics but the section says "peer-reviewed journal publications/abstracts. Why include the word "abstracts" if only papers are to be included. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not familiar with that part of the application anymore, but the way that you quoted it seemed to suggest that "abstracts" meant something that was submitted as an abstract for a peer-reviewed journal article. Sometimes abstracts are submitted and approved for meeting presentations prior to the paper ever being accepted. I took your wording to mean that you had an abstract published for presentation you were making, not the abstract for a journal article. That's why I went the way I did in my comments.

I would suggest the other way if your abstract was actually submitted for a paper that is being considered for publication. Just be as honest as possible and that's all that really matters.

It may be worthwhile contacting someone at ERAS and see if you can include in that section an abstract that was published for a presentation, but to me it seems counterintuitive that it would. Not sure. There's some other people on this board who probably know better than I do.

Hi everyone,

I am sure this would be a question many of us applying would have.
If I have a research project (which I am the first author), which will be submitted but likely have not gotten response from publisher yet when I am applying, how would I file it on the application?

Thanks!

CY.

This is just personal opinion regarding your question, hopefully someone has more information.

I would NOT list a research project under publications unless it has at least been submitted. In that case, it may be alright to write it in as "publication pending" but that is still an iffy situation. If it hasn't been at least submitted with faculty back-up I would find another place for it on the application. I'm not sure what those sections are anymore, but there has to be an "other" section or one for "non-academic" achievements.

Hi everyone,

I am sure this would be a question many of us applying would have.
If I have a research project (which I am the first author), which will be submitted but likely have not gotten response from publisher yet when I am applying, how would I file it on the application?

Thanks!

CY.

new to ERAS this year is a separate category for papers that are submitted, accepted, in-press, etc. it's under "peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts" [other]. you can then select your paper's status from the drop-down menu.

new to ERAS this year is a separate category for papers that are submitted, accepted, in-press, etc. it's under "peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts" [other]. you can then select your paper's status from the drop-down menu.

Thanks, galen08. I knew there had to be someone out there who was more up-to-date than I am.