Questions to Ask During Your Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stafocker

DPM=Foot Ankle Authority
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Students constantly ask the same questions at different programs.

Here is what I think is the BEST questions to ask and to truly gauge if this program is right for you:

1. Graduating GPA's of in-coming residents (use the VERY VERY helpful SCPM Residency Placement Study website)

2. Fellowship Opportunities (overseas or domestic)

3. Pay versus cost of living (including perks, like CPME money, APMA/ACFAS dues, meals, equipment, housing, etc)

4. # faculty Board Certified

5. Average # years after graduating residency to become board Certified for residents

6. Requirement for passage of Part II and/or Part III before starting 1st year

7. Average # publications/posters/speak
ing presentations/books by residents/faculty per year

8. Average pay of graduates at graduation, at <5 years, at <10 years (salary ONLY cause bonuses are difficult to compare). Single private practice graduates still "pay" themselves something, too.

9. Time (# months) needed for residents to achieve CPME required minimal number of surgical cases - usually the standard # surgeries is 525 or 350?? due to being designated a "PMS-36 or 24", so maybe a better ranking would be average time for residents to accomplish/complete minimal numbers

10. # on call time per resident (because work week time is standard nationally at 80hrs/week per resident according to the ACGME, but not "on call time". However not all podiatry residencies follow the ACGME, but rather only the CPME...this is averaged over the course of 4 weeks by ACGME. However, I am not aware of any regulation by CPME. Having htis information in hand, you will at least have a reference point for comparision)( see Krambas post below)***edited****

11. State Scope of Practice laws allow rearfoot? ankle? tibia? hands? (see Krambas post below) ****edited*******

12. Hospital Financial/ Residency Status - recently some of hospitals/residencies have been dropping out and the transition has tough on residents who didn't expect it and didn't know to ask about it. Ex. Graduate Hospital (Phil, PA) program CLOSED recently because they merged with Penn Presby, but NOT all the residents were allowed to join!!! this is important for your future to know about it. know the place you're going to go and it's good to ask where the future of the program is going (academically AND financially). Programs are constantly closing due to the new requirements... you have to ask if you'll still be there in 2 years!!

13. # months in "free/community/uninsured foot clinic" - why? cause MOST of the time it's just a nail/callus clinic and with 1 surgery every 100 pts (ouch!). the more time you're trimming nails and debriding calluses, the LESS time for surgery. Now if ppl want to just do that and make a decent living, great... but at least this way, ppl will know which programs to go to that. However, remember that NOT all clinics are "free"... look, free foot clinics are great and important to the community, but as a resident, don't you want to know how much time you'll be spending doing "2nd year podiatry school" work?

14. # patients seen per surgery performed - this is difficult to calculate. Ask for their Clinical LOG Summary sheet for a whole year (any 2nd or 3rd year resident), find # of total "B and C" surgery cases. Ask for the "average # of patients seen per year per resident" - this number is the hardest to come by cause it's not required to be kept track of, but some hospitals do keep a record... however, the majority of podiatry residency programs do not.

15. Scrambling... some programs don't scramble and some programs have ppl who scrambled after the match at their program. This is important if you are concerned with a history of "unmatched" slots for residents. Under the new rules from CPME, a residency spot that is unfilled for 2 (maybe 3, but i'm pretty sure it's less than 4) consecutive years is then removed. So the program loses a residency spot ....

16. add anything else YOU think is important....remember it's YOUR future

Members don't see this ad.

10. # on call time per resident (because work week time is standard nationally at 80hrs/week per resident according to the ACGME, but not "on call time". However not all podiatry residencies follow the ACGME, but rather only the CPME...)

11. State Scope of Practice laws allow rearfoot? ankle? tibia? hands? (some states like NY don't allow podiatry residents to do surgery above the talus.... )

I agree with most of what you said but...

I am not aware of any regulations that the CPME set for pod residency call hours or work hours. It is true that the ACGME set an 80hr work week but this is based on an average over 4 weeks.

Scope of practice can effect what you learn. In NY a law was recently passed to allow residents to train under their attendings scope of practice. SO residents can train with orthopods to get rearfoot and ankle training.

Thanks Stafocker. Very helpful insight and advice

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with most of what you said but...

I am not aware of any regulations that the CPME set for pod residency call hours or work hours. It is true that the ACGME set an 80hr work week but this is based on an average over 4 weeks.

Scope of practice can effect what you learn. In NY a law was recently passed to allow residents to train under their attendings scope of practice. SO residents can train with orthopods to get rearfoot and ankle training.

Thanks for the heads up, didn't realize the mix up with NY.

I don't know of any regulation either from CPME, but it's nice ot have a reference for comparison when a student comes to visit.

You forgot to cover asking UPMC residents/attendings how their program stacks up to West Penn and asking West Penn how they compare to UPMC :laugh:

That was a high quality post... very good info and many things to think about.

You forgot to cover asking UPMC residents/attendings how their program stacks up to West Penn and asking West Penn how they compare to UPMC :laugh:

That was a high quality post... very good info and many things to think about.

haha...

Actually, my big sib (from SCPM) is now a 2nd year, and my classmate is a first year there. The podiatry program at West Penn is the best residency program at that hospital and probably in the Allegeheny system.

But UPMC owns pittsburgh..... Period. We are based at the UPMC Comprehensive Foot & Ankle Institute in South Side and we are referred foot & ankle cases from a 20+ hospital system (we tend to focus on ~10 hospitals including the DVA). Plus, our Foot & Ankle Ortho guy is PRO-podiatry. That is uncommon that from another TOP TIER academic orthopedic institution (Top #15 from US NEWS World Report).

Bottom line, wherever you go, make sure you are proud and happy that you ended up there! Don't spend 3 years at a place you hate!

This may be a stupid question but this is all new to me being a pre-pod. From what I have read, there seems to be enough externships/residency programs out there to cover the number of students needing one or the other when its their time to apply. My question is, how is it guaranteed (if it is, assuming you pass everything) that a student will be placed into their allotted number of externships needed while at podiatry school (4-5 during forth year) OR placed into any residency? I ask because if their are known "top" programs and many people apply to them, won't some people be left out due to space limitations? Or do you apply to "safety" residency programs to ensure placement? Is their another thread with this information? (I tried searching) I hope that wasn't too confusing.

*****edited******

This may be a stupid question but this is all new to me being a pre-pod. From what I have read, there seems to be enough externships/residency programs out there to cover the number of students needing one or the other when its their time to apply. My question is, how is it guaranteed (if it is, assuming you pass everything) that a student will be placed into their allotted number of externships needed while at podiatry school (4-5 during forth year) OR placed into any residency? I ask because if their are known "top" programs and many people apply to them, won't some people be left out due to space limitations? Or do you apply to "safety" residency programs to ensure placement? Is their another thread with this information? (I tried searching) I hope that wasn't too confusing.

I'm not sure that Stafocker understood the question, or maybe I don't either, but here I go as a try.

Yes you apply to some safety programs. I had 5 externships scheduled for only 4 months of externships. When I finally decided which I wanted to do I called the 5th one and said "no thanks". Your school will tell you which months you are alotted unless you go to AZPOD or DMU (thise you have all 12 months). If you are turned down by a program for an externship, sometimes they offer you a different month, other times they will completely reject you based on grades. You can always visit for a few days. I was rejected from a program for an externship but my GPA increased between 3rd and 4th year so I did a 3 day visit instead and then interviewed.

Apply to were you want to go at least one more than you think you will need and maybe 2 more. Just let the excess programs know as soon as possible so other students can take those spots.

Did this help at all?

...Apply to were you want to go at least one more than you think you will need and maybe 2 more. Just let the excess programs know as soon as possible so other students can take those spots.

Did this help at all?
I was unsure on this also. I was just going to apply to 6 since we can do 6 clerkships...

If I apply for 8 and get all of them, will top level programs then be mad if they gave me my 1st choice month, and I then have to cancel because I'm double-booked?

I was unsure on this also. I was just going to apply to 6 since we can do 6 clerkships...

If I apply for 8 and get all of them, will top level programs then be mad if they gave me my 1st choice month, and I then have to cancel because I'm double-booked?

not necessarily. you usually tell the secretary. And if you still may want to interview with that program try to tell them that you have free housing at a different program but you'd like to visit for a few days if possible.

Students constantly ask the same questions at different programs.

Here is what I think is the BEST questions to ask and to truly gauge if this program is right for you:

1. Graduating GPA's of in-coming residents (use the VERY VERY helpful SCPM Residency Placement Study website)

2. Fellowship Opportunities (overseas or domestic)

3. Pay versus cost of living (including perks, like CPME money, APMA/ACFAS dues, meals, equipment, housing, etc)

4. # faculty Board Certified

5. Average # years after graduating residency to become board Certified for residents

6. Requirement for passage of Part II and/or Part III before starting 1st year

7. Average # publications/posters/speak
ing presentations/books by residents/faculty per year

8. Average pay of graduates at graduation, at <5 years, at <10 years (salary ONLY cause bonuses are difficult to compare). Single private practice graduates still "pay" themselves something, too.

9. Time (# months) needed for residents to achieve CPME required minimal number of surgical cases - usually the standard # surgeries is 525 or 350?? due to being designated a "PMS-36 or 24", so maybe a better ranking would be average time for residents to accomplish/complete minimal numbers

10. # on call time per resident (because work week time is standard nationally at 80hrs/week per resident according to the ACGME, but not "on call time". However not all podiatry residencies follow the ACGME, but rather only the CPME...this is averaged over the course of 4 weeks by ACGME. However, I am not aware of any regulation by CPME. Having htis information in hand, you will at least have a reference point for comparision)( see Krambas post below)***edited****

11. State Scope of Practice laws allow rearfoot? ankle? tibia? hands? (see Krambas post below) ****edited*******

12. Hospital Financial/ Residency Status - recently some of hospitals/residencies have been dropping out and the transition has tough on residents who didn't expect it and didn't know to ask about it. Ex. Graduate Hospital (Phil, PA) program CLOSED recently because they merged with Penn Presby, but NOT all the residents were allowed to join!!! this is important for your future to know about it. know the place you're going to go and it's good to ask where the future of the program is going (academically AND financially). Programs are constantly closing due to the new requirements... you have to ask if you'll still be there in 2 years!!

13. # months in "free/community/uninsured foot clinic" - why? cause MOST of the time it's just a nail/callus clinic and with 1 surgery every 100 pts (ouch!). the more time you're trimming nails and debriding calluses, the LESS time for surgery. Now if ppl want to just do that and make a decent living, great... but at least this way, ppl will know which programs to go to that. However, remember that NOT all clinics are "free"... look, free foot clinics are great and important to the community, but as a resident, don't you want to know how much time you'll be spending doing "2nd year podiatry school" work?

14. # patients seen per surgery performed - this is difficult to calculate. Ask for their Clinical LOG Summary sheet for a whole year (any 2nd or 3rd year resident), find # of total "B and C" surgery cases. Ask for the "average # of patients seen per year per resident" - this number is the hardest to come by cause it's not required to be kept track of, but some hospitals do keep a record... however, the majority of podiatry residency programs do not.

15. Scrambling... some programs don't scramble and some programs have ppl who scrambled after the match at their program. This is important if you are concerned with a history of "unmatched" slots for residents. Under the new rules from CPME, a residency spot that is unfilled for 2 (maybe 3, but i'm pretty sure it's less than 4) consecutive years is then removed. So the program loses a residency spot ....

16. add anything else YOU think is important....remember it's YOUR future

17. How are their interviews like.... this is more for preparation then about finding out more about a residency program. However, it doesn't hurt to ask.