Questions RE: PhD Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbutter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This topic is kind of related to the MPH... I apologize if it's in the wrong place. Anyway, I've searched and searched for information, but it's hard to come by so hopefully you guys can help me out:

For PhD programs in Epidemiology, are applicants with clinical backgrounds viewed more favorably than those who don't?

From Peterson's I saw that many programs have admission rates of 40-50%, even for schools like Johns Hopkins and Harvard. But the average age of applicants is around 30. Is this because these people are applying with many years of experience under their belt already (and/or with MD degree)? Also, why is the admission rate so unbelievably high?

Would having a Masters of Science degree in Epidemiology (still ongoing by the time I apply) be beneficial for application to the PhD programs?

Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to the high admission rate. My assumption would be that applicants either have another degree (MD or MPH) or took time off to work and do other things.

Through my research, I've learned that a MS degree is geared for those who are interested in doing research in that particular field. So I think having a MS in Epid would be a great advantage to your PhD application.

That being said, clinical experience may or may not affect your application. Talk to the schools your interested and see. Do you already have the MS? If not, get some clinical experience in the meantime if you know that will help your app.

I wish I could help more but my comments are really just based on assumptions.

Best of luck!

Regarding high admission rates, its only natural since there are much fewer applicants for grad school compared to undergrad admissions.

Add to that the fact that public health has even fewer applicants relative to other disciplines in the post grad field and you should see why admissions are so "high".

Nothing to do with the quality of the program - competitiveness is just a game of sheer numbers

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what Peterson's is so I won't question dismiss their stats but those admissions proportions seem high to me. I just checked Emory, UMich, and UNC. They admit about 5%, 25%, and < 40% of PhD Applicants, respectively. But these are top schools, so maybe there are schools out there admitting 95% and 75% and >60% of PhD Applicants? My guess is probably not, leading me to believe that proportion of successful applicants is much less than 50% for PhD epidemiology programs.

I don't know what Peterson's is so I won't question dismiss their stats but those admissions proportions seem high to me. I just checked Emory, UMich, and UNC. They admit about 5%, 25%, and < 40% of PhD Applicants, respectively. But these are top schools, so maybe there are schools out there admitting 95% and 75% and >60% of PhD Applicants? My guess is probably not, leading me to believe that proportion of successful applicants is much less than 50% for PhD epidemiology programs.

Not to mention Epidemiology is one of the more popular, thus inherently more selective, disciplines within Public Health.

Consider who's applying to the likes of Hopkins and UNC and Harvard, too. Considering the pedigree of those programs, nearly all applicants are going to have an advanced degree with some combination of field/clinical skills.

My guess is probably not, leading me to believe that proportion of successful applicants is much less than 50% for PhD epidemiology programs.

This is probably the case. Someone mentioned in another forum that the Peterson stats include masters admissions too, so that may be why the rates are higher than usual.

Just wondering, do any of you know or have a general idea of what types of people would want to obtain a PhD in epidemiology? (other than wanting to pursue academic careers)
I am currently doing my masters and it seems that many people are not interested in pursuing a PhD afterwards especially when there is such high demand for epidemiologists in the job market. For people with clinical backgrounds, it seems that an MSc is enough for most purposes and I do not see the point for an MD to obtain a PhD unless he/she is doing a joint degree program.

Any further info that might be helpful for ppl applying to epid phd programs?

High admissions may be because of shortage of epidemiologists. And for a Ph.D. you gotta have a master's degree first. And I would say clinical background helps greatly. It is easier to go past the fundamentals if we have a clinical background. we are already familiar with case definitions, concepts or basic measurements like prevalence, incidence and we already have thought process reared for case selectiona and exclusion etc...Besides, epi is the real sceintific public health concept, everything else is more like sociology / politcal sciences or management, which are vague concepts IMO.

Just wondering, do any of you know or have a general idea of what types of people would want to obtain a PhD in epidemiology? (other than wanting to pursue academic careers)
I see this question hasn't been answered previously.

I work with a few people (state health department) who have PhDs in epidemiology. Some of them have ties to the university (as a professor, for example), while others do not.

I'm personally leaning toward applying for epi PhD programs this year.

Thanks for the replies!

I've mailed some schools re: admit stats for PhD Epi and here are some responses:

UNC:

2008-09
total applicants: 195
# offered admission: 69
# enrolled: 38
MPH=11, MSPH/PhD=4, PhD=23

UCLA:

For 07-08:
25applications received
4students accepted
2students enrolled Fall 2007

For -08-09
24applications received
5students accepted

Yale:
http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/academics/profile/eph.htm

Columbia:
95 applications, 26 acceptances and 11 enrolled

Hope this info helps a bit. From looking at these admit rates, I guess the question I initially asked can be answered.

Also, I asked Columbia about the general GRE and GPA profiles of applicants to PhD Epi and I was told that GRE components must be 75 percentile or higher and GPA 3.5 or higher.

Thanks for the replies!

I've mailed some schools re: admit stats for PhD Epi and here are some responses:

UNC:

2008-09
total applicants: 195
# offered admission: 69
# enrolled: 38
MPH=11, MSPH/PhD=4, PhD=23

UCLA:

For 07-08:
25applications received
4students accepted
2students enrolled Fall 2007

For -08-09
24applications received
5students accepted

Yale:
http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/academics/profile/eph.htm

Columbia:
95 applications, 26 acceptances and 11 enrolled

Hope this info helps a bit. From looking at these admit rates, I guess the question I initially asked can be answered.

Also, I asked Columbia about the general GRE and GPA profiles of applicants to PhD Epi and I was told that GRE components must be 75 percentile or higher and GPA 3.5 or higher.

thanks for this info....great help.

i'm surprised ucla has so few applicants and even fewer enrollees.

thanks for this info....great help.

i'm surprised ucla has so few applicants and even fewer enrollees.

Mind if I ask which PhD programs you are planning on applying to this fall?

Mind if I ask which PhD programs you are planning on applying to this fall?

epidemiology programs at all the big name schools, but nothing is final at the moment....

Can anybody comment on the cost please?