Questions on Medical School in Singapore specifically Duke-NUS and doctor life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoktorO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am an undergraduate student in California who is now applying for medical schools in the US. I fell upon the Duke-NUS medical school program which seemed quite interesting. The program takes place on the NUS hospital campus and is similar to the four year post baccalaureate medical education program in the US. I have a couple questions though about Singapore and how my life would unfold if I was to go into this program.
First off this program requires me to spend 10 years in Singapore working in a public health institution for at least 6 years after graduation of the 4 year program. How is the lifestyle of a doctor who works in such an institution in Singapore?
Second, going into this program basically means I will be living and working in Singapore for the rest of my life, how is career development for a doctor in Singapore? Does income drastically rise as I gain experience and become older or does it level off early on? How much would one need to make monthly to have a nice home (3 to 4 room with 2+ baths) and have two cars? When I graduate I start off with a 3500 SGD monthly income which rises to 4500 SGD in my second year and levels off at that until I finish residency. From what I see doctors make from 15000 (general practioner) to 25000 (general surgery) on average a month.
Third, how easy would it be for me to gain full citizenship after I finish the program which lasts 10 years? Would it be wise to keep my american citizenship after I gain SG citizenship?
Heres the website for the school if you are interested: http://www.duke-nus.edu.sg/admissions[1]
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, 3 bedroom=3mil Sgd, 4 bedroom=4mil Sgd. im assuming nice condo houses. U might be looking at 1000sqft to 1800 sqft, 1700-2500sgd/sqft. This is in the higher end regions. Price varies with location. Cars are just as ridiculous. Loans are hard to come by currently.

Last edited: