questions from an M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veenut

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering what you present/future ortho residents did to get more involvement in the field before your clinical rotations? Particularly, were there any really interesting opportunities you found in the summer after your M1 year? I'm planning on contacting some orthopods at my school to look into research opportunities, anything else you guys recommend looking into? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If your school has an ortho residency program you can try talking to the program director about doing research/shadowing/going to grand rounds etc...

But I think I would use that summer to rest and go on an awesome vacation if you can. I got married during that summer and went to Europe. My only regret is not staying in Europe longer.

Hi all, I was just wondering what you present/future ortho residents did to get more involvement in the field before your clinical rotations? Particularly, were there any really interesting opportunities you found in the summer after your M1 year? I'm planning on contacting some orthopods at my school to look into research opportunities, anything else you guys recommend looking into? Thanks!

Don't underestimate doing nothing. If you take the vacay and chill, and work your ass off next year and kill step I, what you do this summer will be a non-starter. But if you insist, then I agree that your department is a good place to start.