Incoming M1 interested in ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmedecide2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'll be starting med school this fall at Columbia. I've always been interested in surgery and particularly ortho for as long as I can remember. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me answer. I apologize in advance for any questions that may sound dumb.

1. I'm from NYC so my dream would be to match at HSS, which I know is extremely competitive. What are steps that I should take to make my app as strong as possible? Should I find an ortho lab at HSS and do ortho research there? How would this fit into my med school schedule? Would I take a research year off? What about away rotations?

2. I didn't take a gap year between undergrad and med school. I look young for my age so people might think i'm immature or inexperienced? Would it be worth taking a research year off for pursuing either an MBA or MPH, just so I'll be a little older when I apply?

3. I've also heard stereotypes about ortho docs being athletic and extroverted. I'm worried because I'm pretty nerdy/introverted and not an athlete. I was looking at current residents at HSS/other programs and some were former D1 athletes. Would this be a problem when interviewing? I'd imagine that residency programs would want people that fit into their culture, which I'm afraid I won't.

4. Sort of related to the above question. I'm also interested in neurosurgery, perhaps spine. I feel like it might fit my personality much more since I consider myself on the nerdy/book-smart/introverted side. Columbia is also one of the best places for neurosurgery. Would this maybe be a better path to pursue?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of research + good letters from HSS peeps would help you odds. You will also need to do an audition there.

Personality / fit really matter at places. Some are more bro-y than others. Just gotta find "your people" and network hard.

Can't speak to neurosurgery, but there are plenty of "nerdy" people in ortho so don't let it dissuade you. Just realize that every program is different. Several I rotated at fit the bro-culture perfectly and likely selected for people to fit this mold based on feedback, others were very diverse. Just work hard and do your best. Going to Columbia (especially post step 1 era) will really help your odds imo.

Reactions: 2 users
If you really want to match at HSS, the best way to make that happen would be to look into doing research there. It doesn't have to be lab research unless that's your bag. You don't need to do an additional research year or take a gap year.

Everyone does away rotations in ortho. You've got some time before you need to worry about that.

I also wouldn't worry about not being a stereotypical ortho personality. It's a stereotype for a reason but there's plenty of orthopods that don't fit the description.

FWIW, I don't think there's anything particularly special about HSS other than the name. You might find that it's not exactly your speed - I think it's too early to be so focused on a single program.

I'm ortho spine. Happy to answer more questions about spine if you want to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Doing research and getting your name and face known amongst the faculty will go a long way, even if you ultimately decide HSS isn’t for you.

Reactions: 1 user
First, congrats on getting into Columbia! Dr. Levine is the chair of ortho there and he is very well-known for being an amazing teacher/mentor to med students. I would 100% try to meet with him to show your early interest. He will give you way more details on ortho applications than SDN.

Other than that, I agree with what others have said here. Kind of early to be so focused on one program, even if it's HSS. It's considered the best ortho hospital, and in many respects it is, but that doesn't mean the training is the best. When you get to the point where I am (hopefully matching next week), you start realizing that it's really about fit. Programs I had not given much thought before ended up being really awesome places that I would love to train at. I think setting your sights on HSS is not bad since it will get you to shoot for the stars from the beginning. But in addition to the advice given here, I would also develop a strong relationship with the Columbia ortho people.

Also, research year not necessary if you have good research before applications. No magic numbers for step, research pubs, etc. to gain a residency spot at HSS. I rotated at HSS and there were kids rotating with me who were sons of HSS attendings. So even if you have a gleaming application, it may not be enough. Doesn't mean you did anything wrong though.

Reactions: 1 users