Questions for already accepted NHSC Scholars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yabastaman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread b/c I couldnt sort through all of the questions on the other thread which mainl had to do with the application. For those who are already NHSC scholars let's ask specific questions to help us understand what our future will be..

1) How many hours per week does a NHSC have to work? Does it depend on the site? Is there time to do research on the side at a univ?

2) How much are NHSC scholars getting paid in different areas? (ie, Oakland, CA; Alaska; Puerto Rico; Guam ( heard Guam gets $15,000/ yr.))

3) Are there any exceptions to the 5 specialities? I have heard of some doing research on underserved populations and health care.

4) How realistic is it to start your own private practice? What are the rules?

5) Alternative medicine at a NHSC site. Is this accepteable?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting this new thread. I would be especially interested in hearing from residents who are scholars and are in or about to start the job placement process...What has your experience been and any advice???

I will answer what I can. I am an NHSC scholar in my second year of residency, and just starting the job search by contacting sites.

Per my interpretation of the NHSC website, NHSC scholars must work a minimum of 40 hours per week, 30 of which must be direct patient care. I agree with others who have stated the NHSC website is vague in many respects and unorganized.

Regarding salary, I believe it is usually locally or nationally competitive. However, thus far I am only aware of one ACTUAL salary, which is $100,000. This is in rural Ohio (McArthur, Vinton County).

I believe I was misled when I joined the NHSC because I did not realize how few spots were available to scholars, who may only go to the highest ranked shortage areas. Nevertheless, I do not regret the decision. I am concerned about how competitive job positions are and what my chances are of choosing my own destiny.

Hope this helps and I would also like to hear more about the job placement process.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll try my best as well (i'm graduating this summer so i haven't done the placement thing...grantfp will be a good person to give insight on that)
and, i'm happy you are asking these questions...at a conference a few years ago for recent scholars i was AMAZED at some of the ignorance of students that signed up...(like not knowing there is a 2year min. payback requirement...so don't apply as a fourth-year!!!:))

1- 40 hours
2- yes, but where you end up can not legally pay you any less than what they would pay any other doctor...(that being said, $15k was as wrong as expecting ca income in rural wyoming)
3- No, at least as of a couple years ago...but i doubt that has changed...they won't allow IM/Peds
4- Hard, but doable...you must prove that you are providing care to people who couldn't get it otherwise, and that they aren't being charged mega-bucks for it...starting a practice seeing pts who aren't paying would be tough.
5- Yes, as long as you don't make them pay for it...

Actually I am a NHS who is finishing third year of medical school. I spoke with my area director and med/peds is accepted this year along with doing an extra year for AOA internship if you are a DO medical student!!!!!

I think slowly, the National Health service corp will get around at allowing some of the primary care combos that are out there. If you are interested in dual primary care residencies, I would talk with your area represented or someone in the main office.

Thanks for the replies.... lets keep it going...