Questions about the NREMT-B exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confewshz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does the NREMT exam (EMT-B) just cover the DOT objectives on a "superficial" level, or does it go into detail, requiring one to have alot of background knowledge beyond the DOT objectives?

Do you know of any good books or software for practice tests? I am using Limmer's 10th edition "Emergency Care" text and workbook. I am currently reading the text and working the workbooks questions. However, I am not sure if this is enough. For example, should I be doing more practice exams? If so, where is a good source for practice exams?

How about a good source for "free" or "low cost" videos that go over the "practical" section of the exam? I have just started an EMT-B class at my local university and am wondering the best way to study. Any other advice for doing well is appreciated. Thanks in advance for the pointers. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you are working a bit too hard. If you just started class you should be worried about taking numerous practice exams. The NREMT is not the MCAT or the boards. Just keep up in class and understand the material at that level. Ask your instructor what the first time pass rate is for their class. That will give you an idea of the quality of lectures and practicals in class.

The NREMT-B exam is not a walk in the park, but any good instructor will prepare you well with written exams and practical exams. Don't read too much into the questions or the material: most of it is commmon sense and memorization of practical steps. You will know exactly how you will be evaluated on the practical exam and what the automatic fail points are.

Have fun with your class and don't stress about it.

For those of you who have taken the NREMT written, how long did it take them to post your results ???

Just curious, as I took the test a while back (about three weeks) and still nothing posted on their website as of today :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
beanbean said:
It sounds like you are working a bit too hard. If you just started class you should be worried about taking numerous practice exams. The NREMT is not the MCAT or the boards. Just keep up in class and understand the material at that level. Ask your instructor what the first time pass rate is for their class. That will give you an idea of the quality of lectures and practicals in class.

The NREMT-B exam is not a walk in the park, but any good instructor will prepare you well with written exams and practical exams. Don't read too much into the questions or the material: most of it is commmon sense and memorization of practical steps. You will know exactly how you will be evaluated on the practical exam and what the automatic fail points are.

Have fun with your class and don't stress about it.

I took a CPR cert test a few months ago and it looks like this is going to be somewhat similar. I remember answering alot of those questions using common sense. Thanks for the good advice, beanbean. :thumbup:

BaylorHopeful said:
For those of you who have taken the NREMT written, how long did it take them to post your results ???
It was more than three weeks, but less than four. I was checkin' the NREMT site every damn day... what a nerd I was. :laugh: The good news is, when you get your packet o' stuff, you find you're certified as of the day you passed the test. So not only are you an EMT, suddenly you've been one for like a month.

many times you can call your state (or the NREMT) and tell them you are needing to find your test results and number b/c you are waiting to go to work.... This is the way I got my mumber initially. They just told me over the phone and whala go to work. May give it a shot.