Questions about KMC Manipal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,
I am a high school student in the US and am considering attending KMC for medical school after completing this year. I have a few questions and would really appreciate any help on them:
1) Is it true that NRI's usually don't graduate with the group they start with? Why is this?
2) I only know Hindi/Urdu (originally from UP). Should I try and learn any other language before I come to KMC, or will I be fine with just hindi?
3) Do many students do their clinical years and internship outside of India (is it even possible)?

Some background info about me: I have a 4.2+ weighted GPA (3.9+ unweighted). As far as courses which will be relevant in medical school, I took: AP Biology, AP Chemistry, IB Biology HL, IB Chemistry HL, and AP Physics (Received A's in each.)

1) Yes, it is true. Primarily because many NRI's fail first year exams (especially anatomy). It could be because of the anti NRI attitude of some professors who think that NRIs are underqualified rich brats who don't deserve to be here. Do your best and prove them wrong. In any case, medical school is absolutely nothing like high school. There is a reason why US students go through premed first.

2) On campus, English and Hindi would be fine. In fact the more Hindi you speak, the better you can connect with your classmates and professors. With the locals, that's a different story. You don't necessarily have to learn the regional dialect.

3) Yes, students often do electives in the US for a few months during internship. But you need to go back and repeat those months of internship in India. MCI requires you to have completed 1 year's compulsory internship and there is no way around it. Unless the university gives you attendance/credit for the elective, which i'm not very sure about.

If your ultimate aim is to come back to the US, i'd suggest you go the traditional route of doing undergrad followed by MD/DO. MBBS is about 6 years long and you will have to work extra hard to obtain a residency.