Questions about DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pamplemousse11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a recent college graduate and I'm considering becoming a physical therapist. I was a French and Spanish double major in undergrad and was planning on going to law school. I got in, but I wanted to take a year off and work before starting law school. I've now started to think that law may not be the best career path for me. I've been researching other options and pt seems like a great idea. I live in Georgia and went to a good undergrad and got a 3.5 gpa. I've taken statistics and bio, but I have none of the other pre-requisites. For Emory's dpt program I'm only missing four classes (human anatomy, human physiology, and physics I and II). I am thinking about signing up for two classes in January and two in the fall at Kennesaw State University. But my question is, is this enough? Even if I get A's in these classes, are they going to look for a student that has taken more science classes? Most of the other schools in Georgia require chemistry I and II and an upper level psychology class (I only took intro psych). Should I take all possible required pre-requisites to show that I am capable? I am going to start shadowing some physical therapists at my local hospital as well for about 40 hours. Is this enough? I am also planning on finding a few other places to volunteer at after for about 40 hours each as well. Is this enough experience or do they want more? And Emory is ranked 7th in the country, but is the price worth it? Should I instead look at other Georgia schools that are not as good, but will result in less debt? I am used to looking at law schools where rank means everything. How important is rank for pt school? Even with all this will I even begin to compete with students who were science majors and have been volunteering all through undergrad? I'm just afraid I will put in time and effort and not be accepted when I apply. I wish I had realized what I wanted to do when I was still in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am a recent college graduate and I'm considering becoming a physical therapist. I was a French and Spanish double major in undergrad and was planning on going to law school. I got in, but I wanted to take a year off and work before starting law school. I've now started to think that law may not be the best career path for me. I've been researching other options and pt seems like a great idea. I live in Georgia and went to a good undergrad and got a 3.5 gpa. I've taken statistics and bio, but I have none of the other pre-requisites. For Emory's dpt program I'm only missing four classes (human anatomy, human physiology, and physics I and II). I am thinking about signing up for two classes in January and two in the fall at Kennesaw State University. But my question is, is this enough? Even if I get A's in these classes, are they going to look for a student that has taken more science classes? Most of the other schools in Georgia require chemistry I and II and an upper level psychology class (I only took intro psych). Should I take all possible required pre-requisites to show that I am capable? I am going to start shadowing some physical therapists at my local hospital as well for about 40 hours. Is this enough? I am also planning on finding a few other places to volunteer at after for about 40 hours each as well. Is this enough experience or do they want more? And Emory is ranked 7th in the country, but is the price worth it? Should I instead look at other Georgia schools that are not as good, but will result in less debt? I am used to looking at law schools where rank means everything. How important is rank for pt school? Even with all this will I even begin to compete with students who were science majors and have been volunteering all through undergrad? I'm just afraid I will put in time and effort and not be accepted when I apply. I wish I had realized what I wanted to do when I was still in undergrad.

your major and number of unrelated (non-prereq) classes you take doesn't matter. Sure it might look good, but at the end of the day a program just wants to see success in the pre-reqs. I've seen people who majored in business, music and english be admitted to programs. 40 hours per location should be good, always get as much as you can. It's key to get hours in several settings (acute, pediatrics, outpatient...). Rank means absolutely positively nothing in pt school. Rankings are just deans of schools giving other schools grades and saying which other one they like best. Don't go off rankings. Try to go to the cheapest possible school that also has high graduation and npte first time pass rates (in the 90's).

1. Set up shadowing experience with a physical therapist and find out more information about the career
2. Contact several schools and ask whether your previous courses are accepted or not, and if they would accept the pre-requisite courses you plan to take (show them course descriptions). I would not apply to just one school, but aim for 3-6 schools. I've heard ranking does not matter, as long as they have high NPTE passing rates. Talk to people who hire physical therapists to see what they look for. Tuition and location are probably the biggest factors for me...
3. Take classes, study for the GRE, make sure you allow yourself enough time to possibly retake.
4. I've heard that schools value a variety of settings as opposed to a large number of hours at one setting. You can obtain 15 observation hours at 3 or 4 settings to show your immersion in the field.
5. Obtain letter of recommendations from professors and physical therapists. Pay attention to how many letters of recommendations are required as each school is a little bit different.
6. The application cycle begins early July for admission in the following year.

Just my 2cents. There are many who enter the profession as a second career. As a recent college graduate, you're still young! I graduated last year and took this past year to finish pre-requisite courses. I know it can be a daunting process, but if you are determined, you can do it! Hope this helps.

Thank you all so much for the very useful information! You've helped so much. :)