Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traumasurg

Un Socio
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to take the EMT-B national registry. I am looking at buying a holster with some trauma scissors and some pants. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what kind is good.

Members don't see this ad.

Whichever is cheapest is good.

I'd say save your money on the holster. They come with a bunch of crap you don't need (like hemostats). The pants are plus minus. I like cargo pants so you might as well get a pair or two but don't go crazy. Any company you work for should be giving you a uniform.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I agree with the above. Those holsters are kinda silly imho, and whatever service you work for should supply you with pants (that likely have shear holders anyways). I understand you're probably excited to get started, but I'd recommend holding out for a little while longer before you start buying stuff.

I've been working with them for about a year as a volunteer 3rd out. They supply shirts but tell us to get whatever type of navy blue pants we want because the pants they give have no cargo pockets or shear holders. I think it is pretty stupid to only give those pants.

Thanks for the responses.

DOnt get the holster, you can always tell the new guys by how much crap is on their "Bat Belt" As your get more experience less and less crap is on your belt...

DOnt get the holster, you can always tell the new guys by how much crap is on their "Bat Belt" As your get more experience less and less crap is on your belt...
Not gona lie, even the 30 year veterans in our service wear belts with trauma shears + flashlights. I never owned a holster because I was too lazy to go out and buy a holster, but I wish I did. I used to keep my trauma shears in my cargo pockets, and they poked holes through 2 pairs of pants. :laugh:

Edit: That said, there were some people who could take it a bit to the extreme, basically carrying a portable cath lab around their belts.

Last edited:

I carried shears with me for ~4 months then stopped. Looking back, can't believe I carried them that long.

I always carry shears (special pockets in my pants), as well as a smaller mag light, gloves, pen, and a notepad. I have a leatherman on my belt, and the rest is in my pants. I also carry a stethoscope around my neck. Everything seems to fit as it is, I've never had a need for a holster.

Thanks guys.

I've volunteered with this service for about a year and I have noticed people wearing them as personal equipment so I did'nt know whether or not it was necessary. Now I do.

Gerber multitool on my belt, and a pen behind my ear.

If you don't get pants with shear holders in them then just go with a simple shears only holster. Don't get one of the holsters with a half a dozen pieces of crud that you'll never use. Keep it simple.

The only things I really carried was like 5 pens and maybe a pair of gloves in my pocket. Other than that I usually turned around to the newest guy on the truck and asked for them to give me whatever I needed off their belt.

By then end of my EMS career I had given up wearing pants altogether. Sure I took some flack but one word: breezy. One of the last perks in medicine is the ability to go to work in rumpled pajama bottoms.:cool:

By then end of my EMS career I had given up wearing pants altogether. Sure I took some flack but one word: breezy. One of the last perks in medicine is the ability to go to work in rumpled pajama bottoms.:cool:

now if you could only find a way to integrate fans into the pant legs, you could have that wonderfully free breezy feeling back again :cool: