question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aallaei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I was wondering is some of you would share why you chose pharmacy? Was there something that u realized after starting pharm school that u didnt know b4?

Also, can someone explain what other jobs there are besides working at savon..thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I am actually using my brothers log on. Alot of pharmacy graduates work for retail b/c there salaries are competitive and reasonable. Other than retail, people work at hospitals or for temp agencies. I say about 85% work for retail while the other 15% work at hospitals, temp agencies, or military. Others go into the military, like myself while I think of something else to do.
Hope that helps.:p

So I know the downfall of not going into retail right away is the fact that you have to study longer = less pay. But the what are the positives of going into hospital pharmacy or other areas? a more interesting career, more pay??
thanx

Members don't see this ad :)
aallaei:

What do you mean by "more study= less pay"?

loo

What I mean by that is you study an extra year after graduating to be a clinical pharmacist, but clinical pharmacists make much less than retain....that might not be true for every1

You should check out UCSF's website for a description of the pathways they have as part of their pharmd. It'll give a quick read on the possibilities but they're limitless. For a lot of loot you work in industry in management or clinical pharm. I'm intending to work in policy, probably gonna take a huge pay hit, but that's what i want to do.

The quick break down generally given

• pharmaceutical care: working in a pharmacy (retail, in-patient hospital, out-patient hospital, neighborhood, etc)
  • Research (self-explanatory, good money working in industry and take less time than getting a PhD)
  • Policy (addressing issues in health care related to drugs and medicine, both in the public and private sector)
  • Management and Administration (self-explanatory, probably a lot of loot)

It's really wide-open and it's only gonna get more so in the future. Don't think there won't be a lot of options