Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onlinestudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a very general question what is more valuable a MSW or a Master's in Human Services Mental Health Counseling. My question is which is better or they the same? I am entering Grad School and I am overwhelmed with my choices.

Members don't see this ad.

An MSW is generally considered to be one of the more flexible degrees out there. I've never heard of the Master's in Human Services MHC. My more pressing question is how you got into grad school without choosing..?

"thepsychgeek" said
"..My more pressing question is how you got into grad school without choosing..?"
- Ditto question here!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard of the latter degree, but I'm a big supporter of MSW training, because I think it offers a bit more flexibility in training (therapy and administrative) particularly in regard to gov't jobs and quasi-gov't placements.

I think it offers a bit more flexibility in training (therapy and administrative) particularly in regard to gov't jobs and quasi-gov't placements.

This actually isn't so true anymore (at least not in CA where I live). There has been quite a bit of change in legislation recently that have opened up tons of governmental positions for MHCs and MFTs. All these licensures seem to accomplish basically the same things now adays.