Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiveMD

Giggity giggity!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the curriculum of Podiatry School? What is the primary scope of the profession? Just a curious MD…:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

hey there,

here's a link that entails our curriculum and rotations covered during our clinical and residency years:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=284170

As for our scope of practice - this will vary from state to state but the general rule of thumb is diagnosing and treating anything pertaining to the lower extremity - including surgical treatment of the foot and ankle. Some states will have an extended scope that includes soft tissue treatments of the leg and thigh (not including the knee) - but the purpose here is to allow the podiatric surgeon to use soft tissue graft from those regions in reconstructive foot and ankle cases.

hey there,

here's a link that entails our curriculum and rotations covered during our clinical and residency years:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=284170

As for our scope of practice - this will vary from state to state but the general rule of thumb is diagnosing and treating anything pertaining to the lower extremity - including surgical treatment of the foot and ankle. Some states will have an extended scope that includes soft tissue treatments of the leg and thigh (not including the knee) - but the purpose here is to allow the podiatric surgeon to use soft tissue graft from those regions in reconstructive foot and ankle cases.

The scope does not limit the diagnosing of any condition in the body just the treatment. That is important to remember b/c if yo get caught up on the foot and ankle you miss the forest for the trees.

I've caught what looked like peripheral neuropathy but the patient had a radiculopathy from a fractured lumbar. She knew about the fracture but no other physician had but together everything (probably b/c she was seeing lots of docs for various pathologies).

Members don't see this ad :)
The scope does not limit the diagnosing of any condition in the body just the treatment. That is important to remember b/c if yo get caught up on the foot and ankle you miss the forest for the trees.

I've caught what looked like peripheral neuropathy but the patient had a radiculopathy from a fractured lumbar. She knew about the fracture but no other physician had but together everything (probably b/c she was seeing lots of docs for various pathologies).

you're right, pardon the symantics error - but good call mr. feelgood.

The scope does not limit the diagnosing of any condition in the body just the treatment.

hey i didnt understood this part. What does it mean by diagnosing. i thought anyone could diagnose anythin. can you plzz elaborate.

hey i didnt understood this part. What does it mean by diagnosing. i thought anyone could diagnose anythin. can you plzz elaborate.

You are right. Anyone can diagnose anything(NP, PA, DO, MD, DC, DPM, OD, DPT, ect)

My point is scope for any degree does not limit the ability of the practitioner to diagnose only to treat. That being said legal a DO and MD has an unlimited scope but as we have discussed earlier this is not really true. They treat what they have been trained. A urologist opens himself/herself up for litigation if he/she treats a patient for a bunion or for brain cancer.

You are right. Anyone can diagnose anything(NP, PA, DO, MD, DC, DPM, OD, DPT, ect)

My point is scope for any degree does not limit the ability of the practitioner to diagnose only to treat. That being said legal a DO and MD has an unlimited scope but as we have discussed earlier this is not really true. They treat what they have been trained. A urologist opens himself/herself up for litigation if he/she treats a patient for a bunion or for brain cancer.

Got it boss! thank you. So how is the snow scene in Des Moines. Milwaukee is rocking. all classes are cancelled.