Applying for state license question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainCool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking about moving to be closer to my family in the near future so I’m looking into applying for that states license.
One part of the application wants me to reach out to my previous jobs and have them sign a form saying when I worked for them I didn’t have any issues/lawsuits/complaints, which I didn’t. However my first job was a classic associate job where I made a residents salary (signed a terrible bonus filled contract) and when I left after 2 years the boss was just upset because he lost cheap labor. Trying to get him to send me my W-2 the year after I left was like pulling teeth so I’d imagine he will take his time filling this form out, or he’ll ‘lose it.’
I guess my question is can I just leave that off my application, is there any way they can find out? I’ve always had a nursing home side gig so there would be no gap in my employment history. Or would that be a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m thinking about moving to be closer to my family in the near future so I’m looking into applying for that states license.
One part of the application wants me to reach out to my previous jobs and have them sign a form saying when I worked for them I didn’t have any issues/lawsuits/complaints, which I didn’t. However my first job was a classic associate job where I made a residents salary (signed a terrible bonus filled contract) and when I left after 2 years the boss was just upset because he lost cheap labor. Trying to get him to send me my W-2 the year after I left was like pulling teeth so I’d imagine he will take his time filling this form out, or he’ll ‘lose it.’
I guess my question is can I just leave that off my application, is there any way they can find out? I’ve always had a nursing home side gig so there would be no gap in my employment history. Or would that be a bad idea?
I don't see how they would ever know you worked for him, but I would not take any chances? Mail a certified letter if necessary.

State professional licenses are definitely one of those things it is best to error on the side of being completely honest and forthcoming.

Most that are being deceitful are trying to hide something really major so don't take even a small chance this makes it look like you were trying to hide and lie about something. If this would happen even though extremely unlikely it could be an absolute nightmare if it plays out wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
I left after 2 years the boss was just upset because he lost cheap labor. Trying to get him to send me my W-2 the year after I left was like pulling teeth so I’d imagine he will take his time filling this form out, or he’ll ‘lose it.’
In all fairness this woulda been a fight I woulda craved just to stick it to him again. It is against federal guidelines to withhold a W-2 as it is required to be given to you by 1/31.

As for the request he sign your papers. Send it via USPS as certified mail twice with return receipt so if he doesnt do it then you can go to the board and be like this guy is a jerk here's proof.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who applied for a state license that required this, and had issues with my first employer out of residency (small podiatry group where wife was office manager), and had said employer lie on the form…I would leave them off. The state doesn’t care and won’t check, especially if there is no obvious gaps in employment. It was more of a hassle to write a letter explaining the job situation after the old boss filled out the paperwork, than it was worth.

Reactions: 1 users