question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MicrobeHunter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This must sound stupid, but I was wondering if you learn phlebotomy in EMT-B.

Members don't see this ad.

No. No sharp objects in EMT-B, w/ the exception of perhaps assisting someone w/ an EpiPen.

You learn phlebotomy skills as an EMT-I in terms of starting IVs and drawing bloods. EMT-I is an additional class after you become an EMT-B. It is not recognized in some areas and the class hours vary from state to state.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your state. Some states require EMT-I to do phlebotomy. In Colorado, EMT-B's can perform phlebotomy and give IV's with an extra 20 hour class (2, 8 hour combined classroom/practice days and clinical time to get 20 IV sticks), in some other states (I believe Utah is one but I am not sure) EMT-B's learn IV's and Phlebotomy as part of their initial training. It depends on where you are at.

In addition, Colorado has an EMT-I certification that allows EMT-I's to do all the IV stuff, intubate with a combi-tube, administer approximately 20 medications, pace and defribrillate without an AED.

hakksar has it right. Things vary from state to state unless they follow the DOT national EMT curriculum. Georgia was one state that allowed "EMT-B's" to start IV's, use EOA/EGTA/Combitubes, use MAST/PASG, use AED's, and even start IO lines. When Georgia adopted the new DOT curriculum, they created an EMT-I category. EMT-B's now are better-trained first responders, whereby EMT-I's now do all the stuff that former state EMT-B's did. Georgia did not, however, adopt EMT-I's administering drugs.

Why am I telling you all this? Because it varies significantly from state to state. Which state are you in, Microbe?

I'm moving to Virginia. Thanks for the answers. I was asking b/c I've found tons of phlebotomy jobs, but they want at least someone w/ training.