Question on probation status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elinj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have 2 questoins...

I was at an interview at a program that is currently on probation. the director told me that all there review is this year and that expects the probation to to be lifted. so here are my questions:

1. if probation is not lifted what effect does that have to the program. I mean they obviously can still have residents, but down the line what effect is there?

2. if the surgery department is on probatoin, does that affect the case load and teaching of the anesthesia residents? (this i know is a dumb question...but i have to ask)

thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

i have 2 questoins...

I was at an interview at a program that is currently on probation. the director told me that all there review is this year and that expects the probation to to be lifted. so here are my questions:

1. if probation is not lifted what effect does that have to the program. I mean they obviously can still have residents, but down the line what effect is there?

2. if the surgery department is on probatoin, does that affect the case load and teaching of the anesthesia residents? (this i know is a dumb question...but i have to ask)

thanks everyone

Every administrator "expects the probation to to be lifted" that statement means nothing. You expect them to tell you the truth? "Yea, We are hanging on by a thread, one more resident complaint and this program is history."

I talked to a resident at a program on probation. They were able to work the system and get better treatment. The administration was so worried about getting off probation that they were very fearfull of resident complaints so they were reluctant to discipline residents and residents were able to get away with things that would not have been tolerated in normal programs like negotiating better working hours.

The probation in a surgery program will probably have no real effect on an anesthesia residency other than you may see attending surgeons more often to give the surgery residents more time off or to study.

If you interview at a residency program on probation at the time, as I did, what you need to find is WHY exactly. If it is for technicalities like not enough CCM anesthesiology attendings or not enough research, I would view those as easily correctable. If it is for something like years and years of low board pass rates or something else that looks like a long term problem that would be difficult to correct beware-maybe someone else here can give better examples of red flags.

Other things to consider include the fact that it may be easier to match in this program...then they get re-certified, and presto, you are set.

This happened for me at my program, and now they became re-accredited for the rest of my time here. Now matching here is much more competitive, and now my program is implementing things that I previously had seen only at more desirable locations so it can work out.

Good luck

If you interview at a residency program on probation at the time, as I did, what you need to find is WHY exactly. If it is for technicalities like not enough CCM anesthesiology attendings or not enough research, I would view those as easily correctable. If it is for something like years and years of low board pass rates or something else that looks like a long term problem that would be difficult to correct beware-maybe someone else here can give better examples of red flags.

Other things to consider include the fact that it may be easier to match in this program...then they get re-certified, and presto, you are set.

This happened for me at my program, and now they became re-accredited for the rest of my time here. Now matching here is much more competitive, and now my program is implementing things that I previously had seen only at more desirable locations so it can work out.

Good luck