Question on LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelseyjosine21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a question for all of you. I'll be graduating with my BA in Psychology in the Fall of 2009 so I'll be applying to MSW programs for Fall of 2010. Well there's a program here that's offered through distance education at the University of MN and they only take students every other year so they'll be starting a new cohort in Fall 2010. Anyway most programs have you apply the year before the semester you intend to start so I figured I had another year to bulk up my application. Anyway, I was looking at this program's website and found out my application is due January 9, 2009 for the class of Fall 2010! I was like crap! They're taking applications like a year and a half before the semester even starts! Here's my dilemma. My GPA is crappy because I was a Pre-Veterinary Technology major before and I suck at science, but at least I can explain that. I've only been working at my jobs that relate to my major for a couple of months so it'll be hard for them to give me a recommendation and it'll look bad because the program would like students to have at least a year of experience in the field. I'm going to ask my Research Methods professor for one and my supervisor at one of my jobs. However, my other job I just started like a couple weeks ago so should I even bother asking somewhere to write one or should I just try and get another professor to write one? They recommended two recommendations from supervisors, etc. but I feel like I don't really have a choice because I have no one else to ask. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

A few weeks is probably too early to request a LOR from a supervisor- probably want to wait until you at least get past your probation period. If you have any job, even if not SW-related, that you worked for any significant period of time and have someone who can vouch for your work ethic, abilities to learn, etc etc etc, that should be OK.

Well I worked at Dairy Queen for 5 years haha and I was a manager for 3 of them so my boss there would write me a good recommendation. And then I'll ask my supervisor at the job I've been at for a couple months. And then should I even ask my professor for one? She knows who I am and all but that's about it, so all she could really comment on is my grades which are good, but that's all she knows of me. Should I instead ask someone who actually knows me to write one? A friend of mine was also my co-worker at two of my jobs. I'm just stressed because I thought I had another year until I needed to apply and all of a sudden I have like 2 and a half months just for this program! So any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I worked at Dairy Queen for 5 years haha and I was a manager for 3 of them so my boss there would write me a good recommendation. And then I'll ask my supervisor at the job I've been at for a couple months. And then should I even ask my professor for one? She knows who I am and all but that's about it, so all she could really comment on is my grades which are good, but that's all she knows of me. Should I instead ask someone who actually knows me to write one? A friend of mine was also my co-worker at two of my jobs. I'm just stressed because I thought I had another year until I needed to apply and all of a sudden I have like 2 and a half months just for this program! So any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

You should submit a LOR from DQ. That would be hilarious!

"I can't speak for her research skills, but she can make a mean moooolatte!" ;)

It all seriousness, it would be best to get a letter from someone who knows more about you than your grade in their class. If you absolutely can't find anyone, then ask this person. Perhaps you could sit down with them and show them some papers that you've written, or any other scholarly work you've done so that they have something else other than your grades to write about?

I don't really have any scholarly articles to show them haha. I don't really have anything that shows how good I am because I thought I had another year to prepare lol. My DQ boss could talk about how great I am with people and my leadership skills. Honestly I don't know who to ask besides my supervisor at work. None of my other choices are very good so I'm just...torn at this point.

Have you been involved in any volunteer work that's remotely related to social work at any point? If so that's an acceptable work-related LoR as well.

How many letters are you required to have at this program, 2 or 3? With places that required 3, I was able to submit 2 professor and one professional rec letter, although one of the profs had supervised me in a psychology internship. I would definitely submit a professor LoR because you need somebody who can attest to your academic skill. If the professor doesn't remember you well, I recommend submitting a packet with the class(es) you had with the prof and your grades in the class. I also gave them some information about why I wanted to go into the profession and why I felt I was a good fit. The prof can extrapolate from that. Also, if you've done any research at any point with a professor, they'd be a great reference.

I would ask your social work related supervisor for a reference first (and provide them with supplementary info as well), but be prepared for them to possibly say no because they don't know you very well. If that happens, getting the DQ rec is just fine. Just make sure they talk about your people skills and not just your ability to make blizzards! ;)