How to choose who should write internship LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverHearted

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
***Deleted as I've now submitted applications.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When applying for internship last year I noticed that numerous sites gave specific LOR requirements. Some sites required that I submit a letter from my dissertation chair while others required I submit three letters from psychologists who could speak on behalf of my clinical skills. I ended up asking 3 prac supervisors and my chair to write one for me just to meet different sites' requirements. Personally, I would check your final internship sites' requirements and this can help narrow down what you will need.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyway, should I get a letter from the VA (to speak to mostly assessment), the student disability center (to speak to mostly therapy), and my dissertation advisor (because it's expected that I'd have one from her) even though that might not make the strongest case for me given my internship interests? Or would any of you advise I go a different route?

Agree w/ this plan unless the site specifies otherwise. Unfortunately not having a from the dissertation advisor could be a seen as a red flag because it's very unusual not to see one (the few times I can remember the dissertation chair died/was very ill/got fired for something really terrible and the DCT explained the letter absence in their letter).

Source: I am an internship training director and read have reviewed > 1000 applications at this point. However, I am only familiar with sites with either a clinical science or scientist practitioner orientation (site affiliated w/ or located at AMCs/VA etc). College counseling, group practice, for-profit centers etc may have different expectations-- not sure.