Question for pre-pod person

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm going to DO school but my father-in-law is interested in podiatry. I know nothing about the application and education processes. Are pod schools biased against age like med schools? How competitive is it really? He graduated with a degree in business with a 3.60 GPA. He hasn't taken the premed courses yet (are they the same?) but I'm sure he will do fine; he has a physics/engineering background.

Does he have to take the MCAT or GRE? Or does it depend? Is there a military scholarship for pod students similar to HPSP? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

HooahDOc said:
Hey all,

I'm going to DO school but my father-in-law is interested in podiatry. I know nothing about the application and education processes. Are pod schools biased against age like med schools? How competitive is it really? He graduated with a degree in business with a 3.60 GPA. He hasn't taken the premed courses yet (are they the same?) but I'm sure he will do fine; he has a physics/engineering background.

Does he have to take the MCAT or GRE? Or does it depend? Is there a military scholarship for pod students similar to HPSP? Thanks in advance.

I don't think that there is a "bias." One thing that we have discussed before is the profile of the student that struggles the most at DMU is a man that has been out of ungrad for greater than 10years and scored poorly on his physical science in the MCATs. One thing that your father-in-law has going is he properly will score well w/ a physics/engineering background in the physical science area.

The pre-med courses are exactly the same, he can find the full listing of pre-requisites at www.aacpm.org.

Depending on when he applies will determine whether or not he has to take the MCAT or if he can take the GRE. With the addition of the extra 18 testing dates for the MCATs, pod schools will probably only accept the MCAT after 2007.

Yes there is a military scholarship and an excellent residency at Fort Bragg.

I have heard that there is a 50 year old entering the AZPOD class next fall. Additionally, my mom is on the board at the local med school...very good school...and the last 3 years, they have admitted 3 applicants or more that are 40+yrs old. So, I dont know if there really is a bias in pod or md/do schools - I would think that the older folks would be pretty well respected for having the motivation to change careers like that!