question for pod students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a top 25 with a 3.3 gpa… I hope that says something in a class of 90ish. 60% of our class is at a 3.0 or lower, that is ridiculous... Most of them are just as or more knowledgeable as me. I was lucky to go to a difficult undergrad, where I learned most of the stuff in 1st year.

I am looking forward to a change in NYCPM via Touro, I hope they change the requirements to teach and require proofreading of exams. It's not a healthy system at NYCPM. If you ask any student anonymously they will agree with me. The students here are not dumb, 'some' of the teachers just don't teach us 10% of stuff they ask questions on. I took a final this week where 3 questions were grammatically illegible and I'm obviously not a grammar Nazi. So most of us start at a 3.7 for the class... it's frustrating here.

Oh boy this sounds veryyy discouraging. Now I’m having second thoughts about attending nycpm & going to Scholl instead. I don’t wanna end up with a 2.0 & not get residency anywhere. That’s my biggest fear :(

Members don't see this ad.

While it is the teacher/professor’s job to prepare you for externships and real life, they probably don’t get paid any bonuses for excellent teaching performance. However, please, don’t let this be an excuse. Here’s a tip on how to learn on your own, withOUT the help of your professor/teachers. Learn through your patient encounters. If you come across a very chatty patient who had a bunion gone wrong and is spending a lot of time complaining about it, ask him/her about their experience, review x-rays yourself, be curious. If you do this, you will start noticing details and learning things that are not taught in school or mentioned in textbooks, things will start to click, and is much more valuable to your craft than memorizing facts.
Why I am looking forward to clinic and pt encounter, I am a hands on learner. I'm not saying our school is impossible to get above a 3.7. I'm not trying to do the "look, my school is terrible", I just think we should have the MD system. P/F Medical College and Graded boards. Only way to show accurate representation of all the schools.

to xoxo:
Keep in mind residency directors know of the grading disparity. Its more of mental stress on us than a fear of not getting residency. I think our 2.0's will get residency, I'd be more worried with a 2.5 or lower at another school. We do get questions back on challenges, however some professors do not think they are not capable of mistakes. How it is at other schools, I don't know. It's easy to point out flaws when this is my only example of podiatry school.

I am 100% sure each school has professors for certain subjects that are not the greatest. I like 85% of my professors and don't hate the 15% that I think don't put effort into teaching. There just needs to be more accountability when it comes to some professors here. I'm not crying woe is me NYCPM is trash academically. It's tunnel vision, keep that in mind. You may hate NYCPM and love Scholl or the opposite. If I went to Scholl, I may say I took NYCPM for granted. I don't know, all I am giving you is how I feel.

Last edited:
Why I am looking forward to clinic and pt encounter, I am a hands on learner. I'm not saying our school is impossible to get above a 3.7. I'm not trying to do the "look, my school is terrible", I just think we should have the MD system. P/F Medical College and Graded boards. Only way to show accurate representation of all the schools.

to xoxo:
Keep in mind residency directors know of the grading disparity. Its more of mental stress on us than a fear of not getting residency. I think our 2.0's will get residency, I'd be more worried with a 2.5 or lower at another school. We do get questions back on challenges, however some professors do not think they are not capable of mistakes. How it is at other schools, I don't know. It's easy to point out flaws when this is my only example of podiatry school.

I am 100% sure each school has professors for certain subjects that are not the greatest. I like 85% of my professors and don't hate the 15% that I think don't put effort into teaching. There just needs to be more accountability when it comes to some professors here. I'm not crying woe is me NYCPM is trash academically. It's tunnel vision, keep that in mind. You may hate NYCPM and love Scholl or the opposite. If I went to Scholl, I may say I took NYCPM for granted. I don't know, all I am giving you is how I feel.

Does nycpm work with you if you, say, don’t match & have to wait a whole year? I know Scholl does keep you busy with all kinds of stuff to make your residency app more attractive if it wasn’t.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does nycpm work with you if you, say, don’t match & have to wait a whole year? I know Scholl does keep you busy with all kinds of stuff to make your residency app more attractive if it wasn’t.
I’m not sure. You seem like a social person, I wouldn’t worry about that situation. I’m worried about passing, not residency. I know Dr. Eckles has held 3 info sessions in regards to clerkships, so they try to get us knowledgeable of the whole thing. I found them helpful. I don’t know anyone who didn’t match. It’s rare nowadays from what I hear (<5%? Guess). I think not matching is an issue with students who have there hearts on 3 programs and don’t apply to others. Bad luck is more scary than a 2.0.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure. You seem like a social person, I wouldn’t worry about that situation. I’m worried about passing, not residency. I know Dr. Eckles has held 3 info sessions in regards to clerkships, so they try to get us knowledgeable of the whole thing. I found them helpful. I don’t know anyone who didn’t match. It’s rare nowadays from what I hear (<5%? Guess). I think not matching is an issue with students who have there hearts on 3 programs and don’t apply to others. Bad luck is more scary than a 2.0.

I’m just kinda worried because only few residencies in New York accept internationals (as I am one) & the ones which do, have like a gpa cut off between 2.7-3.0. It sounds like most people at nycpm struggle to even have a 3.0. I don’t wanna go to a school where I work as hard as any other student at any other podiatry school & have a 2.0 gpa compared to someone, let’s say, at Kent who has a 3.0 with the same amount of work & dedication.

I’m just kinda worried because only few residencies in New York accept internationals (as I am one) & the ones which do, have like a gpa cut off between 2.7-3.0. It sounds like most people at nycpm struggle to even have a 3.0. I don’t wanna go to a school where I work as hard as any other student at any other podiatry school & have a 2.0 gpa compared to someone, let’s say, at Kent who has a 3.0 with the same amount of work & dedication.

You can only worry so much until you get there.

Say you switch schools, then spend the entire time worrying anyways.

What's the difference?

You made your choice. Focus on the next step. No amount of bandaids we slap on you will make you feel better about your choice.

You will be surprised how much you can grow in 1 semester. Get in, work as hard as you can, and when all is said and done, let it go.

It’s still going to be hard regardless of where you go... NYCPM isn’t a slaughter house...

Don’t let faceless keyboards make your decision.

Take everything with a grain of salt, even my complaining. You are paying for YOUR education. You will not fail out NYCPM, you will get residency. Make friends with everyone and you will prosper everywhere.

Reactions: 3 users
It’s still going to be hard regardless of where you go... NYCPM isn’t a slaughter house...

Don’t let faceless keyboards make your decision.

Take everything with a grain of salt, even my complaining. You are paying for YOUR education. You will not fail out NYCPM, you will get residency. Make friends with everyone and you will prosper everywhere.

Out of curiosity, I noticed NYCPM has a class where you learn how to do a comprehensive physical assessment on patients...for this course does NYCPM provide patient dummies for simulation, or do you work on other students in class? I ask because I thought the focus would be more on the foot rather than other parts of the body.

Out of curiosity, I noticed NYCPM has a class where you learn how to do a comprehensive physical assessment on patients...for this course does NYCPM provide patient dummies for simulation, or do you work on other students in class? I ask because I thought the focus would be more on the foot rather than other parts of the body.

Your're going to be a Physician. You have to know how to do a full work up. You have to know every system. Every student and all schools must do this and there is a national test on it. If you don't wanna learn about the entire body go to optometry school.

What if you didn’t learn it and you palpated someone’s AAA before you auscultated?!

I spent a lot of time palpating my fellow pods if that's what your asking(professionally in Patient Assessment). We practice 30 hours on each other than one session with a standardized patient actor(They aren't consistent graders, need to be a good actor yourself). This was like if you were a general practitioner, I was tested on a migraine and gi issue for my SP.

So when you're in clinicals and the resident asks you to do a full physical on a patient for pre-op......do you sit there and twiddle your thumbs?

Or when you're a resident rotating through other departments......do you just tell the attending "Sorry, I only do foot and ankle." and continue buffing your nails?

Get real man. Maybe we're being harsh, but you should really look into the curriculum or shadow more.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response Nowehjose, and mostly everyone else. I say mostly because some of you seem to have some kind of illusion of grandeur. I have shadowed three different Podiatrists in New York City, and maybe its a local thing, but I suspect it is most likely not. Podiatrists are not MD/DO, so I don't know why people seem to think that a layman would consider you guys as such. I would also like to state, that there is nothing wrong with being a Podiatrist, I think it is a wonderful profession, which is why I was curious, but Doctors in the "general sense" of the word DPM's are not. Regardless of how much "marketing" tries to change this. I am pretty sure most MD/DO's agree. When I shadowed, none of the Podiatrists did any full physicals on their patients, that was what their primary care provider was for. They focused their practice on the foot, same way a Dentist with teeth, and Optometrist with the eyes. You guys make me laugh, and you are in for a rude awakening when you are out there practicing in the real world acting like some kind of doctor wannabe. Dentists, nor Optometrists, have this chip on their shoulder of trying to be like MD/DO's, they know their limits and that's that. I understand the point of the physical and knowing full body, etc. but to think you're some kind of "Physician" like any other Physician is beyond ridiculous. Anyways, I will leave it at that, and hanks for those who truly responded thoughtfully, regardless I wish all of you the best going forward into your careers.

Podiatrists are not MD/DO, so I don't know why people seem to think that a layman would consider you guys as such .

Just because you don't practice it on the regular does not mean you should not be well rounded in all of medicine. It is always better to be exposed(except if its TB) than to be ignorant to the other 75% of the body. You will do full body work ups if you are doing surgery/residency.

[Edited]: lol

God bless you and the rapidly increasing geriatric population

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Nowehjose, and mostly everyone else. I say mostly because some of you seem to have some kind of illusion of grandeur. I have shadowed three different Podiatrists in New York City, and maybe its a local thing, but I suspect it is most likely not. Podiatrists are not MD/DO, so I don't know why people seem to think that a layman would consider you guys as such. I would also like to state, that there is nothing wrong with being a Podiatrist, I think it is a wonderful profession, which is why I was curious, but Doctors in the "general sense" of the word DPM's are not. Regardless of how much "marketing" tries to change this. I am pretty sure most MD/DO's agree. When I shadowed, none of the Podiatrists did any full physicals on their patients, that was what their primary care provider was for. They focused their practice on the foot, same way a Dentist with teeth, and Optometrist with the eyes. You guys make me laugh, and you are in for a rude awakening when you are out there practicing in the real world acting like some kind of doctor wannabe. Dentists, nor Optometrists, have this chip on their shoulder of trying to be like MD/DO's, they know their limits and that's that. I understand the point of the physical and knowing full body, etc. but to think you're some kind of "Physician" like any other Physician is beyond ridiculous. Anyways, I will leave it at that, and hanks for those who truly responded thoughtfully, regardless I wish all of you the best going forward into your careers.

Does your ortho give you a full physical just for the hell of it? How about your ENT or your ophthalmologist? Maybe your Plastic surgeon does a full physical before you go in for a nose job consult. Regardless of what you think some of us will be surgeons and thus will have to know full body. Podiatrist are not claiming to be primary care physicians. But must be able to medically manage their pre op and post op patients. Podiatrist also have admitting privliges at hospitals and must be able to do this. Podiatrist are physicians within their scope. Their is no chip. We don't think we are MD's. We only want to practice within our scope of foot and ankle but that being said we cannout ignore the rest of the body and are trained to be aware of it. So please before you tell us our education please do just a little bit of research on podiatric practice.

Also this guy has been on here a whole decade. I'm pretty sure he's a troll

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Get off your high horse, no has an illusion of any kind on these forums and everyone is happy being just a "Podiatrist".
You have no idea what you're talking about so I highly advise you do some research before just talking bs.
No one goes to their DPMs expecting a full physical exam..:laugh:. Were you expecting a full PE from your optho or derm doc? This doesn't mean we don't learn about them or know how to do them...this why there are primary care physicians!

You can be a better troll if you use google!!

Reactions: 2 users

This is great. Let me clear a few misconceptions for you.

And bravo for coming back after 7 years just to start a flame war in a DPM forum. Truly, you are a gift to us and the community.

1) We do not claim to be MD/DO. We are DPM.
2) At the hospital I rotate at, residents do full physicals for patients pre-op. The skill of knowing how to do a full physical itself is necessary. It does not mean I want to take care of every thing I find outside of the foot and ankle. You don't seem to understand this.
3) Optometrists and dentists start working as OD and DDS the moment they graduate. We have mandatory residencies.
4) "acting like some kind of doctor wannabe"- Man you are really having a rough night aren't you? Enough to pull this out? Really? But I'll bite. We are doctors in the fullest sense. We have a doctorate in podiatric medicine. We have mandatory boards with multiple parts. We have mandatory residencies.

You are a 37 year old man trying to **** on a medical profession. I hope posting here and cackling about it from your computer allowed you to sleep better.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.