question for pod students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

podbadger97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult do you find it to achieve A's in podiatry school? I know every student is different, but how much did you study each day as a first year? Did you find examinations/quizzes to be difficult despite studying? Or are examinations fairly straight forward? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

How difficult do you find it to achieve A's in podiatry school? I know every student is different, but how much did you study each day as a first year? Did you find examinations/quizzes to be difficult despite studying? Or are examinations fairly straight forward? Thanks :)
Fairly straight forward.

Each course is different. Biochem requires the most time, then anatomy, then med cell, then clinical med and then pod med. That's for first semester.

For all classes in our first semester (besides biochem), I think it is not hard to achieve A's with even 2 hours of studying every day.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the person entirely. Prime example is I found biochem to be my easiest basic science class first year where de Ribas finds it to be harder than his other classes. A's are acheiveable. Just have to put the time in studying.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Every School has a different intensity in their classes. Here for example Biochem is a breeze while Histo is by far our hardest class. But I've never found myself struggling. I've had plenty of time to myself. Been able to take days off from studying here and there. It's all about time management. And the thing I always say regarding studying its about quality rather than quantity. If you need to study 6-8hrs every day you're doing it wrong in my opinion.

Reactions: 6 users
Every School has a different intensity in their classes. Here for example Biochem is a breeze while Histo is by far our hardest class. But I've never found myself struggling. I've had plenty of time to myself. Been able to take days off from studying here and there. It's all about time management. And the thing I always say regarding studying its about quality rather than quantity. If you need to study 6-8hrs every day you're doing it wrong in my opinion.
Some my of DO/DPM classmates say they study around 12 hours every day. One was telling me how he studies 12 hours a day and failing some classes while barely passing others. I felt sorry when I seen him cry. I offered some help, encouraged and suggested they go talk to their professors and use center for student learning.

Our DPM clas started with 53 and ended with 53. So, we didnt lose anyone yet this semester though. Not sure about DO. I guess they did for sure since I have seen failing grades in various classes.

thanks for your response :) where do you go to school? I'm looking to go to Scholl. did you guys feel like you came in with great time management/studying skills, or did you develop them further in pod school? and I see, so you feel like you have a good balance between school and personal life?:)

Some my of DO/DPM classmates say they study around 12 hours every day. One was telling me how he studies 12 hours a day and failing some classes while barely passing others. I felt sorry when I seen him cry. I offered some help, encouraged and suggested they go talk to their professors and use center for student learning.

Our DPM clas started with 53 and ended with 53. So, we didnt lose anyone yet this semester though. Not sure about DO. I guess they did for sure since I have seen failing grades in various classes.

where do you go to school?:) congrats on your success in the program! were you a very strong student in undergrad?

where do you go to school?:) congrats on your success in the program! were you a very strong student in undergrad?
Not strong in undergrad at all. Was busy and lazy.

At DMU. Definitely learned how to study and developed some tests skills this semester. I wish I knew this in undergrad.

Judging just by one semester, I am more happier, more successful, less stressed, study less than in undergrad. But next semester we have 1.5x more credit load. Will see what I say at the end of the next semester.

I like material better since it is more applicable. I also like ha everything is so straightforward. I had not a single question that I didn't expect. Everything is from lecture/handout objectives. No questions to trick you or make you fail. I like tha we learn why we need to know. No bunch of nonsense.

In my undergrad, I had science classes where professors lowered average on purpose. In Ochem Lab for example, for our lab reports which were crazy hard, she would purposely lowering scores even after they were graded. We were told that. She was like: "I graded your papers and average turned out not what I expected. Sorry for the delay, I will have to regrade them to bring the average down."

In my calc-based physics, for most exams none got A's. 2-3 of the 4 word problems on physics exams were out of another world. They were never in books, lectures. You could only get partial points. I could keep talking.

My whole undergrad cGPA was like 3.53 at the end. So far I am at the same level with much less stress and studying in med school.

Still, you have to go in with a plan to work hard. What works for some may not work for others.

I feel sorry for guys that have fail stories over at the DO forums. Some have to repeat a year without remediation alternatives.

did you guys feel like you came in with great time management/studying skills, or did you develop them further in pod school?
Started school here with 0 TM skills. Never had any studying strategies or test skills. Was very bad at exams. If I didnt know the question - 99% I would get it wrong. Started to develop them. I went to meetings with center for student learning. I got significantly better.

I find that A’s are easy for me to get in most classes. Although, I have been an A student my whole life. I ended undergrad with a 3.75, and I am doing about the same in podiatry school with the same amount of effort.

Go to AZpod. So far all A's except an A- in path last quarter. My undergrad GPA was a 3.5 but that was undergrad. I always start each new class by over studying and seeing how much time I need to do well on exams. If you go to Pod school it's your only priority. Have to put the time in to get the grades you want. Some class I learn easier than others. Again, it depends on what style of learning your better at and how the information is presented to you.

If you have to study anything for 12 hrs everyday I can only assume you're trying to memorize rather understand. I think that's the key and makes the difference between undergrad and medical school.

We've lost a few to health reasons. Started with 93 think we're at 89 now. We'll see what the damage really is next semester in who comes back.

thanks for your response :) where do you go to school? I'm looking to go to Scholl. did you guys feel like you came in with great time management/studying skills, or did you develop them further in pod school? and I see, so you feel like you have a good balance between school and personal life?:)

I'm at temple. I already had a good time management system in place so it was an easy transition. Had a gap year and it was invaluable. Really gives me the motivation to study. Was in that cubicle lifestyle and I'm never going back.

I've heard the Pod/do schools have the hardest didactics and NYCPM.

Yeah my school personal life balance is good, Some class mates go out literally every weekend and some week days and they seem to do well. Class capture is a gift from God. I highly suggest going to a school that offers it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not strong in undergrad at all. Was busy and lazy.

At DMU. Definitely learned how to study and developed some tests skills this semester. I wish I knew this in undergrad.

Judging just by one semester, I am more happier, more successful, less stressed, study less than in undergrad. But next semester we have 1.5x more credit load. Will see what I say at the end of the next semester.

I like material better since it is more applicable. I also like ha everything is so straightforward. I had not a single question that I didn't expect. Everything is from lecture/handout objectives. No questions to trick you or make you fail. I like tha we learn why we need to know. No bunch of nonsense.

In my undergrad, I had science classes where professors lowered average on purpose. In Ochem Lab for example, for our lab reports which were crazy hard, she would purposely lowering scores even after they were graded. We were told that. She was like: "I graded your papers and average turned out not what I expected. Sorry for the delay, I will have to regrade them to bring the average down."

In my calc-based physics, for most exams none got A's. 2-3 of the 4 word problems on physics exams were out of another world. They were never in books, lectures. You could only get partial points. I could keep talking.

My whole undergrad cGPA was like 3.53 at the end. So far I am at the same level with much less stress and studying in med school.

Still, you have to go in with a plan to work hard. What works for some may not work for others.

I feel sorry for guys that have fail stories over at the DO forums. Some have to repeat a year without remediation alternatives.

I feel you on the science classes in undergrad being NOT straight-forward. And i'm taking a physics final this thursday so i feel you on that one again. pretty sure i black out during my physics exams LOL. but wow yeah your progress and success is really inspiring! congrats! I'm sure that it helps to be in it together with everyone else. it also seems like theres less distractions than in college. it's also nice to hear that you have down time. i get very stressed during exams so having time and developing stress management skills is something i'll need to make time for. i'm glad schools have resources to help with test taking as well. I know scholl has a mentorship program where someone helps you try out a different study technique each week.

any scholl students out there that can comment on their experience? :)

I'm a scholl student. Classes are maneagable. They are tough but fair so if you are planning on attending expect to put in the work! have As in all my clssses. If you have any questions feel free to pm me!

Be ready to study every day and a lot more over the weekends; also need to balance time with gym and other stuff to not burn out. If you put in the time, getting good results is not hard. Try not to be the cramming student; that will make you old really fast lol

Reactions: 3 users
A’s don’t matter to me. I study 2-4hrs/day on exam weeks and take breaks during slow ones. It depends on the courses.1st year was a lot of review for me, so less time. For Pharm and funx Ortho I study on weekends, because it’s new material for me.

Pay attention in class and you will need less time to study. I have more time at night for my dog, video games, my gf, job and stuff.

B’s get residencies.

Can anyone from NYCPM tell me how it is over there? Nice to hear about the other schools.

What determines your grade other than exams and quizzes?

I'm a 4th year scholl student.

I probably averaged about 5-6 hours a day during 1st year of legit studying. 2nd year at scholl is a real grind. I did not go to a single class. I woke up at 4:30 daily, worked out and started studying at 6:00. I studied until my SO came home around 5 everyday. Spent time with them and ate dinner together. If no test I usually called it a night. Test nights maybe studied from 7-9/9:30 then went to bed. That was M-F. S/S schedule depended on the following week. Capstones during 3rd year I studied 2 hours per day max.

I felt like I worked pretty hard. I know classmates who studied more and others who studied less. Everyone is different though. For example. There was a course during my 2nd year that I didn't study a ton for and I ended up missing 1 question the entire course while there were a significant number of classmates who were at risk of failing or did fail the course and a few of my friends who are very good students struggled to get A's.
I will graduate in may in the upper 1/4 of my class. Not a 4.0 but I maintained a healthy relationship with my SO and family and friends and I'm happy with what I did.

Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone from NYCPM tell me how it is over there? Nice to hear about the other schools.
2nd year at NYCPM -
I do not get all A's by any means but I do fairly well.
If you want to get all A's, I would suggest looking into the January program. It is a lot more relaxing and you will have more time to study = more time to possibly get "all A's."
I think it is really dependent on the type of person you are. Some classes will challenge you more than others. If you've already done a biomedical masters program, the classes you've already taken there should be easier to get A's in. If you're fresh out of college it is a bit more of a challenge because it may be the first time you are seeing the material.
Everyone will have to put in a different amount of effort depending on how they learn. And during the first semester is when you are truly learning how to study for the massive amount of tests with a massive amount of material.

To be honest, after awhile you realize that your sanity and spending free time with your partner or friends is worth it more than trying to study at all hours of the day to get all A's. You'll realize for residencies what really matters is having above a 3.0 (3.3-3.4 you're pretty much set - and that's a B+) and being in at least the top half of your class (I can almost guarantee you, at NYCPM above a 3.0 you will be in the top half).

Reactions: 4 users
What happens to those students getting below a 3.0?

I dont think a 50% residency placement would bode well
I’m not saying they don’t get residency - just may not get their top choice! At NYCPM they have almost a 100% placement - I’m sure if you’re in the low 2s you may be more limited to some of the more lenient residencies in NYC since that’s where the school has connections. Who knows really, it’s all speculation. Just basing it off of an upperclassman I talked to that said if you have over 3.0 it’s easy to get the clerkships you want with the month you want while there’s people with lower gaps still trying to figure out their clerkships

Guess it depends what programs you’re applying to... I was denied several programs with >3.5 and published research. But hey if your goals are NY programs a 3.0 is probably “good enough”

2.5 @ NYCPM will get you into 85% of NY/NJ residencies. The directors are graduates and know NYCPMs grading criteria.

Reactions: 2 users
If you have over a 3.3 at NYCPM, do not go to a NY program. With the exception of maybe 2 or 3 programs, you can get better training almost anywhere else in the country.

As for the education I obtained at the school itself, I think it was more than adequate.

If you have over a 3.3 at NYCPM, do not go to a NY program. With the exception of maybe 2 or 3 programs, you can get better training almost anywhere else in the country.

As for the education I obtained at the school itself, I think it was more than adequate.

I plan on staying in NY/NJ/PA area. Why would you say the majority programs are inadequate?

I plan on staying in NY/NJ/PA area. Why would you say the majority programs are inadequate?

I'd assume bc new york is basically run by ortho and has a pretty conservative scope of practice for pods. Might not get to see or do as much bc your attending can't. New Jersey and PA have some pretty good programs tho.

I'd assume bc new york is basically run by ortho and has a pretty conservative scope of practice for pods. Might not get to see or do as much bc your attending can't. New Jersey and PA have some pretty good programs tho.

That is untrue... if it was most residencies that promise RRA/PMRSA would be on probation... Scope of practice only occurs when you are practicing, you still get numbers. If I graduate then want to move to TN or PA, I can do that stuff.

That is untrue... if it was most residencies that promise RRA/PMRSA would be on probation... Scope of practice only occurs when you are practicing, you still get numbers. If I graduate then want to move to TN or PA, I can do that stuff.

Just bc you are able to meet the minimal requirement to finish your residency that doesn't mean its a good residency. Most VA residencies have RRA/PMRSA doesn't make them high power residencies. The best residencies if we're talking about surgery are gonna be at hospitals where podiatry gets first dibs on all the foot and ankle stuff that comes in. In states such as New York it is more likely that ortho will get first dibs and pods get the scraps. And even when working with the ortho attending it may be more likely that they aren't willing to let you do as much. Scraps might be good enough to finish residency but I'd rather have the full course meal if I can help it. But I do believe all podiatry residencies will prepare you adequately enough to be a good podiatrist.

I doubt that. We have dozens of programs and only 1 or 2 mess up. What you are saying is statistically impossible for the data we are given to be that general.

My friend can't drink milk and he is green, all green people are lactose intolerant.

I doubt that. We have dozens of programs and only 1 or 2 mess up. What you are saying is statistically impossible for the data we are given to be that general.

My friend can't drink milk and he is green, all green people are lactose intolerant.

I don't really understand what you are saying. But its quality over quantity. No one is saying New York programs don't hit their numbers. Some merely suggest that the quality of training may be below other programs. I merely hypothesized the political landscape of the state may play a role.

But this is why we extern. I'd tell any pre-med shadow shadow shadow and any Pod student visit multiple programs when you have the chance to and see whats the best fit and will give you the best training.

Pod student visit multiple programs when you have the chance to and see whats the best fit and will give you the best training.

This is the biggest key. Every program is different and you may realize that the best program for you is much different than you expected. Also, spread your rotations out if possible. Different regions have slightly different practice beliefs.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't really understand what you are saying. But its quality over quantity. No one is saying New York programs don't hit their numbers. Some merely suggest that the quality of training may be below other programs. I merely hypothesized the political landscape of the state may play a role.

But this is why we extern. I'd tell any pre-med shadow shadow shadow and any Pod student visit multiple programs when you have the chance to and see whats the best fit and will give you the best training.
Yeah but that political landscape does not have any weight until after you graduate residency. I want to practice in Tennessee or NY, so I will due a NY residency due to lacking Ten., then apply for jobs in both. I understand the strict scope of practice you are referring to, but it makes not sense to say you wont learn about a broad rang of surgeries if you stay in NYS for residency. This is false... No data backs up anything you say...

Yeah but that political landscape does not have any weight until after you graduate residency. I want to practice in Tennessee or NY, so I will due a NY residency due to lacking Ten., then apply for jobs in both. I understand the strict scope of practice you are referring to, but it makes not sense to say you wont learn about a broad rang of surgeries if you stay in NYS for residency. This is false... No data backs up anything you say...

I'm not going to get into an internet argument with you. Not my style. Political landscape will always play a part. You can only see and do what your attendings can do. One can not argue that all podiatry residencies are created equally. Some are better. Some are worst. All will train you to be a podiatrist. New york residencies have a reputation of not being as good compared to others. That is a fact a fellow literally came here just to say that. I've attached a scope of practice list for each state. This is a little bit older but notice how it limits podiatry to the foot specifically excluding malleoli fractures in new york. This is a little bit older list. I believe New York now has ankle in their scope of practice recently. Ortho has responded with the scope expansion with the below study. (Makes pods look bad) So if you have attending who has not operated on ankles in how long and Ortho that is anti pod and obvi is reluctant to teach pods stuff it is very easy to see why residents might suffer because of that dynamic. No one is claiming that New york won't make you into a good podiatrist. But if one wants to be Mr.All star surgeon then it may be in their best interest to check out other programs.

I'll say it once more. Talk to your 4th years to see what there experiences are. Talk to 3rd year residents and see what their case numbers are. Are they rushing to meet the minimum before 3rd year is up or did they already meet the min by 2nd year. What kind of Jobs offers are they getting. Do the attendings let them have free range in the OR or not. And visit a many programs as possible. Each program is different.

While I'm ranting. One of the biggest arguments I here orthos use against us is that our training is inconsistent. I hope that one day All of our residencies will be held to the same standards set by CPME and COTH.

Thanks for attending my ted talk lol.

signin_n
Surgeon Type and Outcomes After Inpatient Ankle Arthrodesis ... : JBJS

I'm not going to get into an internet argument with you. Not my style. Political landscape will always play a part. You can only see and do what your attendings can do. One can not argue that all podiatry residencies are created equally. Some are better. Some are worst. All will train you to be a podiatrist. New york residencies have a reputation of not being as good compared to others. That is a fact a fellow literally came here just to say that. I've attached a scope of practice list for each state. This is a little bit older but notice how it limits podiatry to the foot specifically excluding malleoli fractures in new york. This is a little bit older list. I believe New York now has ankle in their scope of practice recently. Ortho has responded with the scope expansion with the below study. (Makes pods look bad) So if you have attending who has not operated on ankles in how long and Ortho that is anti pod and obvi is reluctant to teach pods stuff it is very easy to see why residents might suffer because of that dynamic. No one is claiming that New york won't make you into a good podiatrist. But if one wants to be Mr.All star surgeon then it may be in their best interest to check out other programs.

I'll say it once more. Talk to your 4th years to see what there experiences are. Talk to 3rd year residents and see what their case numbers are. Are they rushing to meet the minimum before 3rd year is up or did they already meet the min by 2nd year. What kind of Jobs offers are they getting. Do the attendings let them have free range in the OR or not. And visit a many programs as possible. Each program is different.

While I'm ranting. One of the biggest arguments I here orthos use against us is that our training is inconsistent. I hope that one day All of our residencies will be held to the same standards set by CPME and COTH.

Thanks for attending my ted talk lol.

signin_n
Surgeon Type and Outcomes After Inpatient Ankle Arthrodesis ... : JBJS
I will look into other residencies, and keep your statements in mind. I’m not really trying to break that “I am an ankle surgeon” wall down, but I’d like to get exposure to everything. If I decide after residency trauma, ankle reconstruction or what ever, I can decide. Right now I’m interested in wound care and NY is booming with diabetics.

WesternU student here!

How long each person requires for studying prior to an exam is highly variable and depends on their foundation. The most difficult aspect of first year is finding out how you learn best. Personally, while those in my class who perform well academically approach studying in different ways, repetition remains the mother of learning. It is easier to study harder and longer at the beginning of first year and adjust as necessary to achieve the best balance for you. Keep on working hard, be self-reflective on what is or is not working, and flexible in trying different techniques. There is no magic formula for success, but if there is a will, there is a way! Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Reactions: 2 users
WesternU student here!

How long each person requires for studying prior to an exam is highly variable and depends on their foundation. The most difficult aspect of first year is finding out how you learn best. Personally, while those in my class who perform well academically approach studying in different ways, repetition remains the mother of learning. It is easier to study harder and longer at the beginning of first year and adjust as necessary to achieve the best balance for you. Keep on working hard, be self-reflective on what is or is not working, and flexible in trying different techniques. There is no magic formula for success, but if there is a will, there is a way! Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
Issue with NYCPM is the 10-15% of the stuff in 'some' subjects were never taught. That ends up screwing you because you might already miss 15-20% of the stuff that was just too dense for you to cram into the 2 exam a week schedule at NYCPM.

NYCPM admin think lower gpa equals better...

Issue with NYCPM is the 10-15% of the stuff in 'some' subjects were never taught. That ends up screwing you because you might already miss 15-20% of the stuff that was just too dense for you to cram into the 2 exam a week schedule at NYCPM.

NYCPM admin think lower gpa equals better...

That sucks because you have to deal with grade inflation that other schools do through "grading" clerkship rotations. Which are all easy As.

I remember when we were evaluating students on their clerkships they needed to make a certain GPA cut off just to get in through the door. But after that it was all fair game. We chose the students who were the best workers and the ones with the personalities which jived with the residency program.

Do the best you can with grades. But kick butt on your clerkships

That sucks because you have to deal with grade inflation that other schools do through "grading" clerkship rotations. Which are all easy As.

I remember when we were evaluating students on their clerkships they needed to make a certain GPA cut off just to get in through the door. But after that it was all fair game. We chose the students who were the best workers and the ones with the personalities which jived with the residency program.

So it all comes down to grades and work ethic during the 3rd/4th year?

Did you consider any of the other factors like research/sga stuff/apma rep/etc? Any of these matters or helps in the matching process?

So it all comes down to grades and work ethic during the 3rd/4th year?

Did you consider any of the other factors like research/sga stuff/apma rep/etc? Any of these matters or helps in the matching process?

No when I was resident I could care less.

Were you smart, teachable, function independently?

Would I want to hang out with you?

That’s all that matters

I'm a top 25 with a 3.3 gpa… I hope that says something in a class of 90ish. 60% of our class is at a 3.0 or lower, that is ridiculous... Most of them are just as or more knowledgeable as me. I was lucky to go to a difficult undergrad, where I learned most of the stuff in 1st year.

I am looking forward to a change in NYCPM via Touro, I hope they change the requirements to teach and require proofreading of exams. It's not a healthy system at NYCPM. If you ask any student anonymously they will agree with me. The students here are not dumb, 'some' of the teachers just don't teach us 10% of stuff they ask questions on. I took a final this week where 3 questions were grammatically illegible and I'm obviously not a grammar Nazi. So most of us start at a 3.7 for the class... it's frustrating here.

Last edited:
I'm a top 25 with a 3.3 gpa… I hope that says something in a class of 90ish. 60% of our class is at a 3.0 or lower, that is ridiculous... Most of them are just as or more knowledgeable as me. I was lucky to go to a difficult undergrad, where I learned most of the stuff in 1st year.

I am looking forward to a change in NYCPM via Touro, I hope they change the requirements to teach and require proofreading of exams. It's not a healthy system at NYCPM. If you ask any student anonymously they will agree with me. The students here are not dumb, 'some' of the teachers just don't teach us 10% of stuff they ask questions on. I took a final this week where 3 questions were grammatically illegible and I'm obviously not a grammar Nazi. So most of us start at a 3.7 for the class... it's frustrating here.

Touro. Are you transferring to DO?

Rumor is that NYCPM may merge with New York Medical College (in Valhalla), which is owned by the Touro system.
Touro has the money NYCPM needs to improve its facilities, I know DO students aren't exactly satisfied with Touro, but anything is better.

While it is the teacher/professor’s job to prepare you for externships and real life, they probably don’t get paid any bonuses for excellent teaching performance. However, please, don’t let this be an excuse. Here’s a tip on how to learn on your own, withOUT the help of your professor/teachers. Learn through your patient encounters. If you come across a very chatty patient who had a bunion gone wrong and is spending a lot of time complaining about it, ask him/her about their experience, review x-rays yourself, be curious. If you do this, you will start noticing details and learning things that are not taught in school or mentioned in textbooks, things will start to click, and is much more valuable to your craft than memorizing facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.