Question for Military Veterans or those who have served in the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xcar_

Eyes closed can't see
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Writing isn't my strongest skill bare with me. I current have a c1.75 gpa with 37 earned credits and a couple of W & F's in my transcript 10+. I struggled with school for 8 or so semesters. I lost my scholarships so I was not going to pull out loans, I basically ran out of money for college. Finally decided to call it quits about two years ago. I've been working really odd jobs and it has been hard to maintain myself.

Well I want to join the Military but as you all know when I get out I plan on pursing my journey to become a doctor. I was wondering what interesting people I can get from the shadows with this post who have had a similar situation as me.

I encourage you all to not give me some insight on what ways the military has helped you achieve your goal into getting into med school. NOTE: I don't plan on reenlisting just a one term and get out.

1) What were some of the MOS or jobs you had while in the military?
2) What are some of the advantages you (have/had) over classmates now?
3) What are some of the things you wish you knew before you joined?
4) What do you recommended I look at before deciding to enlist?

Just note I'm 23 years old. And please I ask that people who joined with a similar situation or solution to respond. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If becoming a doctor is your goal, go to college instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing about your language skills or your academics indicates you have a chance at med school. The military doesn’t fix your major issue with getting in to med school.

Enroll in some college prep tutoring remedia style courses or just pick a different path in life. If that different path is military? Enjoy it, but don’t think it will get you to med school by itself

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless your grade trend purely is based on immaturity / lack of discipline I’m not understanding how enlisting for “one term” will help you academic wise. Good health care experience in the military won’t make up for a poor GPA.

If your goal is provider status you need to figure out how to study.

1) What were some of the MOS or jobs you had while in the military?
Hospital Corpsman Second Class
2) What are some of the advantages you (have/had) over classmates now?
Post 9-11 GI Bill.
3) What are some of the things you wish you knew before you joined?
That I would have minimal control of my life for the 5 years I served on active duty.
4) What do you recommended I look at before deciding to enlist?
An MOS/NEC that will allow you to get a decent paying job when you get out.

I joined because I wanted to serve my country and save lives. If you enlist simply because you ran out of money for college, I think you're gonna be unhappy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Like you, I was a mess in college when I first started. I had a c 2.5 gpa with 28 credits. I decided that I needed to take a break, and that I needed to find a way to pay for college anyway. I enlisted and landed a job as a Rad Tech. After my first enlistment, I decided that I wanted to go back to school. While at school, I still served as a Traditional Guardsmen, did my volunteer, research hours, etc.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with enlisting for one term, it all depends on the individual. It all depends on how you take your experience. To answer your questions:

I was fortunate to have gotten a job in the medical field, while I was enlisted in the military. As for advantages, you just have a different mind set. Keep in mind that i was about 6 years older than my peers. Drinking and partying weren't a part of my priority. I did all that, while I was in. One thing that you should know though and keep in mind-- you really don't get that much of a choice when you're in the military. You take whatever job they give you. You go wherever they send you. You do whatever they tell you. So don't let your recruiter fool you. Don't even believe that they can guarantee you a specific job, unless there's a contract. Be careful.

Now I recommend to really think about what you want to do. Do you want to be a doctor? or Do you want to serve in the military? Think about it this way: Bachelor's (4 yrs) Med School (4 yrs) Residency (4-5 yrs).. Now if you still want to join the military, add 4- 6 years to that (and that's just one enlistment, you're talking about reenlisting).

Luckily, I joined the military when I was 19, got out, started college, and I am graduating this year with a c 3.7 gpa. It's a huge comeback from a 2.5 gpa. So yes, the military helped me in some ways, where maturity plays a role. It's also a good EC. But like what other people said, it doesn't not make up for bad grades. Med schools aren't just gonna say, "Hey, this guy is a vet! Let's accept him despite his 2.5 gpa!"

Let me say it again, military experiences WILL NOT compensate for bad grades, but it can definitely help you stand out in your applications.
what branch did you join? what did you score onthe asvab?