Question for current Endo Residents and Endodontists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naynae91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us starting Endo residencies next year, is there anything that you recommend we do to prepare? Is there anything you wish you had done or known before starting residency? Also, how necessary is it to have loupes? Do you ever use them as opposed to microscopes?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably depends on your program what pre-reading is useful. Skimming through Cohen’s Pathways of the Pulp latest edition for anything that’s unfamiliar from dental school could be useful but not essential.

Loupes are useful for teaching in predoc labs and clinic, or moonlighting if allowed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It'd be helpful to get an idea of the systems you will be working with (C&S and obturation). Ask your program director or current residents. If you have the time, practice these techniques on extracted teeth. ie. finding MB2, warm vertical obturation, etc. If you have access to a microscope, it'd be helpful to get acclimated to it (positioning of patient/yourself, adjusting mag, etc). There's a high learning curve with all these techniques and it takes time.

Pathways of Pulp is the endo bible, but not necessary to commit to hard memory until residency starts.

Like Boat mentioned, loupes are useful if you're teaching pre-doc or moonlighting. I don't know about other programs, but we exclusively use microscopes in our graduate clinic for patient treatment from the start. I've heard of residents at other programs that use loupes in the beginning, but only because they weren't comfortable with microscopes or ready to part with their loupes. Most end up transitioning to microscopes due to the complexity of the cases.

Get in touch with your local endodontists/mentors and ask them for advice as well. For example, one of my mentors specifically mentioned to seek out Thermafil retreatment cases in residency as our metroplex has a high number of those patients.

With that said, enjoy the time you have right now. Travel, hang out with family/friends, etc. Endo residency will require your full attention/commitment once it starts. Hope that helps, feel free to DM me if you have any other questions.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Warm vertical compaction is the most technique sensitive but cheap option for obturation.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of us starting Endo residencies next year, is there anything that you recommend we do to prepare? Is there anything you wish you had done or known before starting residency? Also, how necessary is it to have loupes? Do you ever use them as opposed to microscopes?
Do nothing but rest. Cuz all ur going to be doing is reading

Reactions: 1 users
Do nothing but rest. Cuz all ur going to be doing is reading
Best advice right there! I wouldn't have been able to fathom before residency how much we'd be reading every week. It's nuts. So enjoy your freedom while you have it and get ready for a busy couple of years. The previous advise in the first few replies were spot on as well.

Reactions: 1 user