Question concerning HPSP and my competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lev2001

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently an undergrad junior and I am planning to take the DAT this summer. I have a 4.0 gpa, close to a hundred shadowing hours ( still working on it, I need about 350 for DCG), I was a predental club VP then Pres. I am a chemistry tutor and was a teaching assistant for biology. With my current situation in mind, I feel I am relatively competitive for dental school, but I am not sure how competitive I am for a HPSP program in the air force or navy. How competitive are these programs? I heard rumors there like only 11 seats for the airforce hpsp, which is for me hard to believe! Is it 11 seats per state or nation-wide?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am currently an undergrad junior and I am planning to take the DAT this summer. I have a 4.0 gpa, close to a hundred shadowing hours ( still working on it, I need about 350 for DCG), I was a predental club VP then Pres. I am a chemistry tutor and was a teaching assistant for biology. With my current situation in mind, I feel I am relatively competitive for dental school, but I am not sure how competitive I am for a HPSP program in the air force or navy. How competitive are these programs? I heard rumors there like only 11 seats for the airforce hpsp, which is for me hard to believe! Is it 11 seats per state or nation-wide?
just do your best and trust the process...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I don’t know about Air force, but my Navy recruiter said there were 50 HPSP slots in Navy (Nation wide)

Reactions: 1 users
How competitive are these programs?
They’ve become very competitive. The Navy had around a 50% acceptance rate in 2015 or thereabouts, based on presentation I saw. It’s only since gotten harder to get a spot. If you’re serious about the HPSP, I would apply to all 3 branches. In all actuality, based on the numbers, it’s probably easier to get into dental school than it is to receive the HPSP.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Alright I see, another question that is concerning me is that will my skills stagnate if I were to do HPSP. I heard people say that even with an AEGD, some dentists are stuck doing mainly fillings and nothing else. Thank y'all!