Question about HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist420

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied this cycle and I was interested in applying to the HPSP for Air Force, Army, and Navy. However, I was wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me if you are drug tested at MEPS. I smoke recreationally but plan to stop when I would need to.

Side note: Is it a lot to apply to all 3 branches?

Members don't see this ad.

I have applied this cycle and I was interested in applying to the HPSP for Air Force, Army, and Navy. However, I was wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me if you are drug tested at MEPS. I smoke recreationally but plan to stop when I would need to.

You smoke what recreationally? They’ll ask if you have ever used drugs in the past. Expect that to be a likely dead end for you. Also, they randomly screen you all the time for drug use in the military.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
You smoke what recreationally? They’ll ask if you have ever used drugs in the past. Expect that to be a likely dead end for you. Also, they randomly screen you all the time for drug use in the military.

Big Hoss
Marijuana

Since you did not mention it, are you implying that they don't drug test at MEPS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Marijuana

Since you did not mention it, are you implying that they don't drug test at MEPS?
They absolutely will test you at MEPS. They will also ask you about it. You will be required to hold a Secret level security clearance. They will ask about it again when you go through that process. You absolutely do not want to be caught lying to the military. It’s not a joke. You will need to disclose your past drug use. This will likely require you to get a waiver to even apply. The HPSP has gotten so competitive, I imagine the selection board would toss out your application if it was attached to a waiver for drug use.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users

Expect to give a urine sample at MEPS. Agree with Big Hoss that you’ll be asked about drug use and random testing. This could be a dead end.
It’s also a lot of work to apply to 3 branches for you and the health profession recruiter. Have you talked to a HP recruiter yet?

You should absolutely disclose your rec use but I would expect to be ghosted by some recruiters when they find out about it.

They absolutely will test you at MEPS. They will also ask you about it. You will be required to hold a Secret level security clearance. They will ask about it again when you go through that process. You absolutely do not want to be caught lying to the military. It’s not a joke. You will need to disclose your past drug use. This will likely require you to get a waiver to even apply. The HPSP has gotten so competitive, I imagine the selection board would toss out your application if it was attached to a waiver for drug use.

Big Hoss
I can't speak for whether or not past drug use will weed you out from the HPSP board, but it will certainly not prevent you from getting your Secret or even a TS/SCI as long as you disclose it.

I can't speak for whether or not past drug use will weed you out from the HPSP board, but it will certainly not prevent you from getting your Secret or even a TS/SCI as long as you disclose it.
And to a significant degree it matters how long ago it happened. In this case, we have the OP using right up to the time of application. It’s not something that happened a decade ago.

Nearly 80% of America’s youth are unfit for military service. OP might be joining that club.

Big Hoss

And to a significant degree it matters how long ago it happened. In this case, we have the OP using right up to the time of application. It’s not something that happened a decade ago.

Nearly 80% of America’s youth are unfit for military service. OP might be joining that club.

Big Hoss
I hear ya but realistically it won't impact your secret clearance. For example, everyone at the military academies get cleared for secret clearance. There are many freshmen that enter, who as recent as their senior year of HS, were smoking weed. It really doesn't impact your ability to get the clearance as long as it's disclosed and you piss clean the first time and every time they test you. Hell, I know several people that needed a morality waiver to join because they did harder drugs than weed but easily got their TS.

If it weeds you out of the HPSP process, well it is what it is...

When is a good time to apply for HPSP? I mean when during the cycle would be a good time to talk to recruiters and start the process?

When is a good time to apply for HPSP? I mean when during the cycle would be a good time to talk to recruiters and start the process?
ideally sooner rather than later. It takes a while to build the application packet and to submit it. You should be trying to get it done right away since it's an extremely competitive scholarship. I believe a solid timeline is the spring/summer of the year you're applying. That's when I started the process, but ultimately had to stop since I became ineligible for it.

The sooner the better but you do need to be accepted to a school. You can start the process in anticipation of acceptance. There’s a pre screening form which is attached (drug use question included). This is from the USAF. You can also apply while in school , i.e. for a 3 year scholarship. Of course that means you’re paying for D1.

Attachments

• 1. Prequalification Form.xlsx
    10.9 KB · Views: 53
For any military Dentists out there…can you have a relatively “normal” life in the military with the HPSP? Also, how much do you get paid in the military as a dentist? Does it depend on the branch? Or how much your dental school was? Please let me know, all responses are appreciated.

For any military Dentists out there…can you have a relatively “normal” life in the military with the HPSP? Also, how much do you get paid in the military as a dentist? Does it depend on the branch? Or how much your dental school was? Please let me know, all responses are appreciated.
I’m not a military dentist but served 22 years in the USAF as a nurse and then Peds nurse practitioner. All base pay is the same across branches. Link above to monthly base pay. Dentists start as captains (O-3) just out of school. The base pay doesn’t include housing allowance (depends on location) and bonuses and board certification pay, which is where the military tries to equalize military vs civilian pay. Bonus pay is different across specialties.

I can attest that you can have a normal life but it’s subjective. I married and raised 2 great kids while in the USAF. Lots of great memories and adventures. My dentist friends all seemed pretty happy with doing HPSP and not having school debt. They also were able to perform the best treatment plan (not worrying about insurance) for overall healthy patients. Most got out after fulfilling their obligation but the few that stayed in were good folks. They just eventually have to wear administrative hats and/or specialize. Dentists also promote fairly easy. I’m sure others can chime in…..

Last edited:

One of my students this summer mentioned that her husband is a Navy Recruiter who lives in CT. He actually came into our DAT class this summer and talked to the students about Navy HPSP dental. If you have any concerns, I could put you in touch with him or ask your questions.

Hope this helps.

Nancy, co-owner, Destroyers