Question: Canadian or U.S. undergraduate/med school?

emcee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
*I could not make a thread in the aspire chat section therefore I made one here.

I will be graduating high school soon but I do not know where I should go to continue my education. It would be either in Canada or in the U.S.
I have always had an interest american schools because I heard you would have a better acceptance rate to a US med school if you were american and studied in america during your undergraduate year.

The good news is my parents do support the idea or studying across the border and I also have some family in the U.S., seattle to be specific. I could apply for UW! (Went to visit the campus once, beautiful library!!)

The bad news is I am having difficulty deciding whether or not I should cross the border in hopes of receiving a better education (undergraduate and graduate). I am not saying that Canadian education isn't on-par with American, but perhaps I would be much more satisfied if I were to receive education in the U.S.

Bottomline - In my current situation, is it worth going to the U.S for education, and furthermore: medical education? I know that I would save a lot of money if I were to stay in Canada but I wouldn't mind if I had to work harder.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

*I could not make a thread in the aspire chat section therefore I made one here.

I will be graduating high school soon but I do not know where I should go to continue my education. It would be either in Canada or in the U.S.
I have always had an interest american schools because I heard you would have a better acceptance rate to a US med school if you were american and studied in america during your undergraduate year.

The good news is my parents do support the idea or studying across the border and I also have some family in the U.S., seattle to be specific. I could apply for UW! (Went to visit the campus once, beautiful library!!)

The bad news is I am having difficulty deciding whether or not I should cross the border in hopes of receiving a better education (undergraduate and graduate). I am not saying that Canadian education isn't on-par with American, but perhaps I would be much more satisfied if I were to receive education in the U.S.

Bottomline - In my current situation, is it worth going to the U.S for education, and furthermore: medical education? I know that I would save a lot of money if I were to stay in Canada but I wouldn't mind if I had to work harder.

Thanks in advance!!
would you maintain Canadian citizenship? Where do you plan to practice, ultimately?

I know that medical school admissions in Canada is very competitive due to the limited number of seats, however, many US schools do not accept international applicants or hold international applicants to higher standards.

Thanks in advance!!

Hm, you are in quite the pickle. Statistically, yes US schools accept more Americans than Canadians. However, I think an important question for you to ask yourself is where you think you will practice medicine.

Studying abroad can be a wonderful experience (a few of mine have done it). Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can really tell you which to do, it is one of those life decisions you have to make on your own (those suck, believe me, I know).

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I was born pre-maturely in california but moved to Canada shortly after that, my mom said something about being able to choose between being an american or canadian citizen at I think, eighteen years of age? If thats true then I would attend an american university as an american :). Ultimately, I do plan on practicine medicine for the rest of my life in the U.S.

Well, I guess I have just answered my own question! (lol)
Thanks for all of your help guys. :) Really appreciated!

Well I was born pre-maturely in california but moved to Canada shortly after that, my mom said something about being able to choose between being an american or canadian citizen at I think, eighteen years of age? If thats true then I would attend an american university as an american :). Ultimately, I do plan on practicine medicine for the rest of my life in the U.S.

Well, I guess I have just answered my own question! (lol)
Thanks for all of your help guys. :) Really appreciated!

I would verify that you will be able to naturalize, if I were you. But, I agree that you should attempt to attend school in the country in which you intend to practice. In general, this saves you a lot of red tape.

This isn't 100% set in stone, I do have a faculty member at my school that attended McGill University and is currently practicing in the US, conversely I have a friend from undergrad that is doing his residency in at McGill after having attended a US medical school and he intends to return to the US to practice. There is leeway and you will be able to change your mind later, I'm just suggesting the path of least resistance.

I will definitely verify, thanks!!

yea man, its all about citizenship and where you want to practice when it comes medical education. They dont want you going anywhere; they invest a good healthcare education on someone, and for them to leave the country would be counterproductive. a lot of schools are really picky about staying in the immediate region as well. you should get dual citizenship, that would be rad..