Medical Question about what to focus on for my Leadership activities section(most meaningful); convoluted

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am struggling with what to write about for my leadership activity of being president of a club for 2 years focused on raising awareness for migraines. I'm not struggling because I can't think of something to talk about, rather I can't decide on what to focus on because it was so meaningful. Can't decide on a story approach of a single interaction with someone, but then it would cut out focusing on more of what we achieved through the club.

For the description i focused on: 1 sentence club background, why I joined, i applied for a low officer position after only being a member 1 month but was chosen to be president instead, my tangible results in my tenure after being thrown into leadership with no guidance(doubled roster, amount of money raised, revived our education initiative). I then talked about our presentations to local high schools in underserved region where we used our platform to talk about college and premed.(literally just wrote that)

For most meaningful: I focused on our club's big annual event.
we were able to give students a judgement free environment to share their stories and learn about treatment. I organized our annual event(research symposium: dr's came and presented clinical research and discussed cases with us), it was meaningful because of the leadership skills i improved on and because HS students from earlier in the year came, and one of those students was accepted to my school and joined the club. It taught me the importance of nonjudgemental listening, to make people feel comfortable sharing their migraine experiences with us, i hope to parallel this as a physician.

- I joined the club to learn more about my mum's migraine suffering and I learned about the stigma of people dismissing it as just a headache, and have had a ton of encounters of people telling me that. I worked to make people comfortable enough to share their stories, and provided education on ways to seek treatment and eliminate their own triggers. I did an incredible amout of studying on pathophysiology and epidemiology, and taught our officers enough so that they were able to teach others, I led a presentation/workshop at a prehealth conference. Ultimately I was proud of being able to drive across to high schoolers, my own officers, and people around campus that migraines are not headaches.

I have literally spent 3 days staring at my google doc trying to write this activity section in a focused and concise manner, but my brain can't decide on a singular approach. I would appreciate any guidance on what to focus on, I have no one to bounce ideas off of, and as you can tell from this post I'm kinda going a bit mental. Cheers!
If you really can’t focus on a story because you did so much, then explain what you did. Most activities honestly are pretty pithy, so if you have some real accomplishments by all means brag about them. Ultimately, the important thing is you give yourself a jumping off point for an interview, and in that setting you can share stories

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I can help simplify... I only read a few thousand every year.

Description answers "what did I do/accomplished".

Meaningful answers "why is this important for me as a future physician".

Status
Not open for further replies.