question about vacation time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomplatz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
all military personnel get 30 days off a year as I understand it. there's no way military residents, especially interns, get this. anyone know how this works?

the 80 hour workweek and 4 days off a month rule still apply to military residents though, right?

Members don't see this ad.

tomplatz said:
all military personnel get 30 days off a year as I understand it. there's no way military residents, especially interns, get this. anyone know how this works?

the 80 hour workweek and 4 days off a month rule still apply to military residents though, right?

Why do you say there's no way residents, especially interns get this? I don't have an answer for you, but if residents didn't get to take their leave for multiple years, they'd bump up against a 60 day accumulation maximum. If they were denied leave, they could file to keep it.

I'd guess that they can take their leave, probably between rotations or something similar, but I've got no actual knowledge.

My husband finished residency in 2001, and throughout his four years, he was only able to take three weeks a year, a week at a time.....and one week had to be either Christmas or New Years. (And he may have only gotten two weeks his intern year :confused: ).

He finished residency with a TON of leave built up (somehow they circumvented "use or lose", although it applies to him now, as a staff) but was still unable to use much because when we got to his first assignment, he was in a two doc shop in a very busy specialty......he received NO leave when our third child was born. We have eventually used it up and now are on track to have 30 days built up for terminal leave this summer before DH gets out. :D :D :D

Sally

Members don't see this ad :)
tomplatz said:

at my peds residency interns get 2 weeks off and 2nd and 3rd years get 3 weeks. we can take a week off at a time, but only during outpatient blocks or electives. we get 4 days at christmas or new years that does *not* count againt our leave totals (it's free). educational conferences or boards also do not count against leave.

tomplatz said:

undoubtedly YES. The RRC accredits all residencies in the military, and they must meet the exact same requirements of civilian programs (work hours, 30hr rule, no new pts post call, etc)

--your friendly neighborhood loves his leave time caveman

I agree with Homunculus, our program is the same. One thing you should know about the "30 days" each year is that they count weekends you would normally have off. Thus, if you you take a Friday off to make a three day weekend, it counts as three days of leave not 1 -- nice deal eh?

Ed

edmadison said:
I agree with Homunculus, our program is the same. One thing you should know about the "30 days" each year is that they count weekends you would normally have off. Thus, if you you take a Friday off to make a three day weekend, it counts as three days of leave not 1 -- nice deal eh?

Ed

thanks guys and gals

edmadison said:

Ed

Ah, yes. . . I'm glad someone brought up the royal screwing you take on leave. It applies not only to weekends, but holidays as well. Here's an example. Let's take Thanksgiving for instance. So, Thursday (Thanksgiving day) is a holiday. Most posts quite generously kick in the following Friday as a "training holiday"-- sort of a free day off. Then there's Saturday and Sunday. Outpatient clinics will be shut down tight, so provided that you don't have call or ward or other clinical duties, that's a nice four day weekend, right ? :)

Guess again. :eek: If you stay in town, it is in fact, 4 days off. But lets say for instance you plan to leave Camp Swampy and go to Grandma's house in Iowa. Well, now, instead of a "free" 4-day weekend, it is considered "leave," and you have to burn vacation time which otherwise would have been a freebie. :smuggrin: So if you ever plan to go anywhere over a holiday (as many real people do), your 30 days leave can rapidly dwindle by 50% or more. F*****g ripoff, and yet another reason to get out ASAP.

RMD 1-6-9

You do acrue 30 days of leave a year, though most military residencies limit how much you can take, usually to 2-3 weeks/year. Whether it's in one block, or split up into 1-week blocks, varies among programs. But it's not limited to residents. Just because an attending acrues 30 days of leave per year doesn't mean he/she gets to take it all either. It all depends on staffing, and even attendings may be denied leave, so there's no "guarantee" of getting to use all 30 days per year.