Can't get GI Bill after HPSP minimum time repayment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I served the minimum amount of active duty time (3 years) for my hpsp obligation, then after active duty applied for post 911 GI bill. It was denied, showing no time in service. When I called they explained that since I served active duty to repay a scholarship, that time served does not count for GI bill service time calculation. Does this sound right?

Members don't see this ad.

So I served the minimum amount of active duty time (3 years) for my hpsp obligation, then after active duty applied for post 911 GI bill. It was denied, showing no time in service. When I called they explained that since I served active duty to repay a scholarship, that time served does not count for GI bill service time calculation. Does this sound right?
This does not sound right. Calling @Helpful Troll to quote a regulation...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is mostly right. Time served to pay off one educational benefit (in this case, active duty time used to pay off your HPSP scholarship) cannot be applied to another educational benefit. However, intern year is neutral for HPSP purposes, so it should count for GI Bill. Here's an illustration:

- I took a two-year HPSP scholarship
- PGY-1: one year toward GI Bill, no time toward HPSP
- PGY-2: one year toward HPSP, no time toward GI Bill
- PGY-3: one year toward HPSP, no time toward GI Bill
- PGY-4: one year toward GI Bill, HPSP already paid off
- First year as attending: one year toward GI Bill

So I became eligible for 100% GI Bill benefits after completing my first year as an attending.

Also note that the VA rates your eligibility at the time you apply for benefits, not the time you plan to start school. If you will become eligible for 100% in August but submit your paperwork to the VA in July, for example, you'll be rated for 90% benefits -- even if your matriculation date is in September.

One final thing: if you start receiving your benefits while still on active duty but then separate while you're still receiving them, notify the VA! As a civilian, you're eligible to receive a housing stipend that you can't get while you're still receiving your BAH.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is mostly right. Time served to pay off one educational benefit (in this case, active duty time used to pay off your HPSP scholarship) cannot be applied to another educational benefit. However, intern year is neutral for HPSP purposes, so it should count for GI Bill. Here's an illustration:

- I took a two-year HPSP scholarship
- PGY-1: one year toward GI Bill, no time toward HPSP
- PGY-2: one year toward HPSP, no time toward GI Bill
- PGY-3: one year toward HPSP, no time toward GI Bill
- PGY-4: one year toward GI Bill, HPSP already paid off
- First year as attending: one year toward GI Bill

So I became eligible for 100% GI Bill benefits after completing my first year as an attending.

Also note that the VA rates your eligibility at the time you apply for benefits, not the time you plan to start school. If you will become eligible for 100% in August but submit your paperwork to the VA in July, for example, you'll be rated for 90% benefits -- even if your matriculation date is in September.

One final thing: if you start receiving your benefits while still on active duty but then separate while you're still receiving them, notify the VA! As a civilian, you're eligible to receive a housing stipend that you can't get while you're still receiving your BAH.

Your math would work except for the fact that you cannot pay back an undergraduate (i.e. HPSP) commitment while in GME. What happens (when you get into the nitty gritty details of the Instruction) is you end up paying your HPSP and GME commitments concurrently.

From DODI 6000.13

(2) Satisfying an ADO. ADOs will be fulfilled in the order in which they are incurred unless otherwise specified. No portion of an ADO may be satisfied:

(d) Concurrently with any other ADO or with an obligation incurred for DoD-subsidized undergraduate education or training unless otherwise specified by law or DoD policy;

And further along....

(a) Sponsored in a Military Training Program. A Service member attending sponsored GPE in a military or affiliated program will incur an ADO of one-half year for each half year or portion thereof; however, the minimum ADO is 2 years. That ADO will be served concurrently with other ADOs incurred for DoD-sponsored undergraduate education or training, or prior long-term health or health-related education or training. The GPE ADO will be served consecutively with other ADOs incurred for additional GPE training.

And further along.....

(c) Time spent in military internship or residency training or other similar health related education and training programs as identified in the HPS&I pay plan will not satisfy an AFHPSP or FAP ADO. A participant may not serve any part of a military obligation incurred by participation in the AFHPSP or FAP concurrently with any other military obligation, unless specified otherwise. Regardless of the length of participation in the Program, a Service member who accepts an AB as prescribed in section 2128 of Reference (d) and paragraph 5e(7) of this enclosure will incur a 4-year ADO, which may be served concurrently with the AFHPSP or FAP ADO.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So, with that said....if it is true that you cannot earn GI Bill while paying off another education benefit this instruction would support that during your time in GME you are not paying off anything, but rather accruing more (to be served concurrently) and therefore SHOULD be able to use that time in GME towards GI Bill.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

no, it doesn't sound right. granted, I've only known people who have done vanilla 4 year HPSP commitments, but they all did their minimum time and used the post 9/11 GI bill for fellowships. unless something changed or you are a service academy/ROTC grad I'd keep going up the chain until you get a more definitive explanation.

--your friendly neighborhood ask another E4 at the office and you'll get a different answer caveman