Question about time off during MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fission Chips

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I just found out my brother is getting married in November, he lives in South America and asked me to be his best man. I will either be in Neuro, OB/GYN, or Rads at that time (schedule is still being finalized). He is getting married on the 17th (Saturday), and Thanksgiving is the next week. I tried to get him to change the date, but he couldn't because of other conflicting dates within the family.

Can anyone (current MD's/PD's would be helpful as well) give me some input in terms of how bad would it look to ask if I could take that Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off (we're given Thanksgiving and the day after off for these rotations)? I'm looking to match into Urology for what it is worth. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I am aware of the sacrifices we make in this process of becoming a physician. I am willing and prepared to miss his wedding altogether, but would (obviously) prefer not to.

Members don't see this ad.

Just check your school’s policy. You either have the days or you don’t

Check with your school, but also with the rotation coordinator. I've had friends who did similar things, but they had to make up the days on weekends. I've also had clerkship coordinators who wouldn't give me time off even if my school said it was OK. You will have to make sure everyone is aware and on board otherwise, you run the risk of getting in trouble with your school, or worse, pissing off your clinical coordinator.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same issue with my mom's college graduation. It is on a Thursday, so I will need to be gone two days. I plan to beg, trade, or do anything for everyone.

My experience is, if I give my school advance notice, they will try to accommodate me. However, you may have to make up any shifts you miss. I'd offer to make up those weekly shifts on subsequent weekends.

Be proactive and, once your rotation is finalized, make sure the coordinator knows ASAP. It's usually much easier to get time blocked off from the beginning as opposed to waiting until your rotation schedule is already made. For anything like this I usually offer to work weekends, long hours, whatever it takes to make the time up upfront as a token of goodwill; it doesn't look bad to ask for time off if you're demonstrating a willingness to still put in the time.