Question about residency and job outlook for Podiatrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Segment

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

While reading an interview of a Podiatrist on SDN, I came across this post in the comment section:

"This post is not for Pod students, nor allopathic or D.O. students; this post is for the premeds on this site considering a career in podiatry, just as I did. I became interested in podiatry for several reasons: low GPA/MCAT scores, seeing patients, smaller group of students applying every year. The majority of the 8 podiatry schools (I believe) in the country are for profit and making money on your tuition ~$120,000, thus podiatry schools have an agenda. They give you many good reasons to become a podiatrist, however, if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn’t.

You future is worth looking into so I looked into some others viewpoints on podiatry and I want you to read up on this when you get a chance. There are residency issues, lots of podiatrists out there already (students included) and schools continue to produce podiatrist, why? Again, they will charge you for a medical education and there is a lot of individuals willing to settle. When it comes down to being paid as podiatrist insurance companies only have room for a set number of podiatry providers. There is ONLY true need in rural settings… just like their is need for MD’s and DO’s in those settings as well. The DPM degree is enticing, but one needs to be wise and read the cards others deal you before you play. Here is the website that I am referring to (it is actually authored by a podiatrist and does a great job in laying out arguments that I referred to in this post):

http://www.angelfire.com/on/podiatry/

My advice to the premed: If you have low scores and are considering your options, retaking classes and your MCAT is your best most likely. Unless you are dead set on becoming a podiatrist, I offer a warning to you."

My question is, how accurate are these statements (besides the for-profit part which is just silly)?

Is it true that there are major residency issues and limited jobs?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

just ignore it....a pre med every other month finds that website and asks the same exact question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello.

While reading an interview of a Podiatrist on SDN, I came across this post in the comment section:

"This post is not for Pod students, nor allopathic or D.O. students; this post is for the premeds on this site considering a career in podiatry, just as I did. I became interested in podiatry for several reasons: low GPA/MCAT scores, seeing patients, smaller group of students applying every year. The majority of the 8 podiatry schools (I believe) in the country are for profit and making money on your tuition ~$120,000, thus podiatry schools have an agenda. They give you many good reasons to become a podiatrist, however, if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't.

You future is worth looking into so I looked into some others viewpoints on podiatry and I want you to read up on this when you get a chance. There are residency issues, lots of podiatrists out there already (students included) and schools continue to produce podiatrist, why? Again, they will charge you for a medical education and there is a lot of individuals willing to settle. When it comes down to being paid as podiatrist insurance companies only have room for a set number of podiatry providers. There is ONLY true need in rural settings… just like their is need for MD's and DO's in those settings as well. The DPM degree is enticing, but one needs to be wise and read the cards others deal you before you play. Here is the website that I am referring to (it is actually authored by a podiatrist and does a great job in laying out arguments that I referred to in this post):

http://www.angelfire.com/on/podiatry/

My advice to the premed: If you have low scores and are considering your options, retaking classes and your MCAT is your best most likely. Unless you are dead set on becoming a podiatrist, I offer a warning to you."

My question is, how accurate are these statements (besides the for-profit part which is just silly)?

Is it true that there are major residency issues and limited jobs?

Thanks for any help!

That guy comes around every now and then and stirs the pot with inflammatory false information. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but his is flawed.

Rumor has is he failed out of podiatry school and now spends his life bashing the profession. He actually goes as far as making multiple SDN handles and has conversations with himself with the different handles. His IP address from the handles has been confirmed with the mods so its not speculation. It's fact.

Not to mention 99% of the postings on that anglefire site are by the same poster... Traum/Caddyshack/Duped/handle of the day. It's pretty sad really.

(Im sure he will be posting on this thread very shortly)

With that said, yes there is a residency shortage in podiatry. Yes it has a high attrition rate. Yes the admissions are low/relaxed. Yes podiatrists make decent money. Yes podiatrists hold an important role in healthcare and save medicare millions every year. No, we are not going anywhere any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The comments section of the Podiatry interviews part of the site tends to be poorly moderated and has comments that wouldn't be put up with anywhere else on the site. In addition podiatry has had a historically rough history (for some) and has a following of the discontent - some of them being individuals who were not able to acquire a residency in the past and suffered for it. We can discuss this in whatever level of detail you would like along with the legitimate issues that podiatry is still working to address.

I had not read the "angelfire" site in awhile, so I was sort of amused to take a look at it again. I can tell you from reading the SDN forums for awhile that many of the comments put a smile on my face (especially the closing "grass is always greener" comments concerning other healthcare professions). If I were going to respond to it I would first point out that a great deal of the site is "sold" as fact without any facts being provided. If there's any part of that site you are legitimately worried about please feel free to ask and we can let some air out of the balloons. In the spirit of anecdotes, please consider this complimentary opinion provided by a doctor who posts on this site.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12403441&postcount=2

I was actually intrigued by this post until I saw Angelfire...

Yes there is still a residency shortage, but its nowhere near as bad as it was 15 years ago.

I feel like a public announcement should show up every time a pre-med googles podiatry and angelfire shows up. It was probably the second site I visited when I was first finding out about podiatry.

I wouldn't put much stock in anything "dudes" posts. Take your pick - he's either sloppy and incapable or intentionally deceitful. He always wants to have it "both ways" and he makes up numbers or compares apple and oranges. He's a leading advocate for PA/NP in the wrong forum. If you want to be a PA/NP then mosey on over to their forum and see what they think about it. Don't take a pre-whatevers word for it. Apparently he now knows multiple people who didn't match and the most he can say is that they are miserable. Who would have thought it.

If someone didn't get into MD/DO, then I would highly recommend the DNP/NP route or the Nurse Anesthetist Route. They do practically the same work as physicians, they can treat the whole person, prescribe meds, and there's so much opportunity in the field. There moving into the surgical sub-specialties now. In 16 states you can practice autonomously (can even open your own practice), some states require you to have a collaboration with a Physician in order to prescribe, but you can still treat and diagnose unsupervised. The field is really open and endless on what you can do. That field i think is a great alternative to MD/DO, the nurses role/field, from what i heard is only going to expand with the obamacare bill. It's a secure, well-known field, vast opportunities, expanding field, and i heard the schooling is even a lot cheaper. If someone wants to do similar work to a physician i would highly recommend this route. Podiatry seems sum1 limited on what you can do. You have to really like working with feet b/c that's all your going to be seeing. In regards to the shortage. I know 3 people that didn't get into a residency. An intern when i shadowed told me she didn't get a residency, but she seemed rather miserable that she didn't get one. Like really sad. 2 others i know from a friend didn't get 1 either. I do hear podiatry has a high attrition rate so do make sure your hear is in this, b/c if u fail out or don't get a residency, your going to be in a lot of trouble. Im sure your parents will also be very angry. At least with the DNP/NP, if u fail out, you have a BSN/RN degree to fall back on.

:confused::confused:Im sorry but I have to strongly disagree with your statements. Nothing personal but surely you know that with ALL medical specialities there are limits. Brain surgeons do no operate on hearts. Would you suggest that he/she become a nurse because of the limits of working on brains and that the brain surgeon better like brains or he or she is in trouble lol Being a Nurse is hard labor and some nurses work in certain departments only (is that a limit?). Also there are residency shortages across the nation... DO, MD whatever. Compete and be the best or go get a desk job (there are limits and shortages for desk jobs too!).

Last edited:
I'm sorry but my facts are correct. There is no residency shortage for MD/DO. They in fact have an oversurplus which is why they accept Carribbean MD, if u go to 1 of the top 4 schools in the carribbean, your likely to land a residency as long as you pass your boards, most likely in primary care, but there are some that land better residencies. Look at it this way. DNP's or NP's perform a similar funtion to PA's with the added bonus of greater autonomy. Any1 that couldn't get into MD/DO or carribbean MD should looking into getting your DNP or Doctorate of Nursing Practice. It's a solid career, well-respected, similar to a physicians role with vast opportunities and many specialties to choose from. PA is also a great field, i know a PA that makes 150k doing bypass surgery and a DO Family med doctor that makes 135k per year. Nurse Anesthetists make on avg. 150-200k per year. Again if you want to treat the person and no limit yourself, their are alternative routes people can take. If you you really like feet by all means go for it, but you won't win the prestige war with MD/DO's or even NP's/PA's, the nursing profession is highly respected and well-known, so is PA. Im not criticizing podiatry but with the high costs, high attrition rates, and a residency shortage people need to realize their gambling huge. The people i know are very upset with their situation, massive loans, with nothing to show for it. Interning for a year working for free in the hopes you land a residency next year. I think this is why pod schools don't get many apps. Also technically orthopedic docs can work and specialize in the foot/ankle. I believe 60% of foot and ankle cases were performed by docs, pa's and nurses, 40% by podiatrists, which leads me to believe the profession isnt a strong necessity as other professions. If the profession was to disseapper tomorrow, orthos and other docs can take over foot/ankle cases. All you have to do is train more otho docs in the foot and ankle.

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
is dudestheman for real or is he just a troll with a lot of time on his hands? i cant tell...:confused:

I'm sorry but my facts are correct. There is no residency shortage for MD/DO. They in fact have an oversurplus which is why they accept Carribbean MD, if u go to 1 of the top 4 schools in the carribbean, your likely to land a residency as long as you pass your boards, most likely in primary care, but there are some that land better residencies. Look at it this way. DNP's or NP's perform a similar funtion to PA's with the added bonus of greater autonomy. Any1 that couldn't get into MD/DO or carribbean MD should looking into getting your DNP or Doctorate of Nursing Practice. It's a solid career, well-respected, similar to a physicians role with vast opportunities and many specialties to choose from. PA is also a great field, i know a PA that makes 150k doing bypass surgery and a DO Family med doctor that makes 135k per year. Nurse Anesthetists make on avg. 150-200k per year. Again if you want to treat the person and no limit yourself, their are alternative routes people can take. If you you really like feet by all means go for it, but you won't win the prestige war with MD/DO's or even NP's/PA's, the nursing profession is highly respected and well-known, so is PA. Im not criticizing podiatry but with the high costs, high attrition rates, and a residency shortage people need to realize their gambling huge. The people i know are very upset with their situation, massive loans, with nothing to show for it. Interning for a year working for free in the hopes you land a residency next year. I think this is why pod schools don't get many apps. Also technically orthopedic docs can work and specialize in the foot/ankle. I believe 60% of foot and ankle cases were performed by docs, pa's and nurses, 40% by podiatrists, which leads me to believe the profession isnt a strong necessity as other professions. If the profession was to disseapper tomorrow, orthos and other docs can take over foot/ankle cases. All you have to do is train more otho docs in the foot and ankle.

The residency shortage for podiatry is fairly small from what I understand and mainly those who are towards the bottom of their class or fail their boards will have difficulty getting a residency. The problem is also temporary and should be corrected within 4-5 years.

The reason so many foot and ankle cases are not performed by podiatrists isn't because podiatry isn't a "strong necessity" but simply because there are not that many podiatrists. This is a very small profession compared to the number of DOs, MDs, RNs, etc. The need for foot and ankle care is there, but because there are only 14,000 or so DPMs in the country then of course that load will need to be taken care of partly by other professionals.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "prestige war." You think there aren't people who discriminate against you because you went to a Caribbean MD school? There's still discrimination against DOs, does that mean that people shouldn't be DOs? It's kind of silly to compare "prestige" between different types of physicians anyways. Respect from your colleagues is earned, it doesn't come with the letters you get after your name.

is dudestheman for real or is he just a troll with a lot of time on his hands? i cant tell...:confused:

I am pretty sure hes just trolling it....he claims to have secured a PT school spot, yet doesn't have one post outside of the pod forum.

MD title is still an MD, regardless if you went to carrib. or not. DO as well as an MD are fully licensed physicians, most people know that and do not discriminate. Carribbean MD, DNP/FNP, PA, route, even pharmacy route I believe are great alternatives to MD/DO. Or you could take a year or two to increase your app and re-apply to MD/DO. The avg GPA for carribbean MD is 3.4 and 27 MCAT. If all else fails, DPM.

PharmD is completely different than a physician. Also, you are not a fully licensed physician unless you pass all of your exams and do a decent residency. This is why Caribbean schools are looked down upon; the majority of their students do not score well, I guess because they don't learn/study well enough? An MD may be an MD, but if you graduated at the bottom of your Caribbean class (or any school for that matter), what does that say about you? I definitely would not want to be treated by you. I'm not hating on anyone, but its just the observations that are noted.

Sadly, a DPM is the "last resort" option, though not in every case. This is primarily because feet are not sexy and people are not educated on the profession. When I started telling people and peers about my choice and they found out that pods can do surgery and prescribe medicine, they were flabbergasted and actually interested in the field. Though most are turned down by the feet aspect, it is still the closest thing to and MD/DO specialty you can do.

I am pretty sure hes just trolling it....he claims to have secured a PT school spot, yet doesn't have one post outside of the pod forum.

Yeah, he certainly has an axe to grind. I hope there really is a PT program hes going to so maybe he will stop spending so much time flaming podiatry. It's so trifling and sad.

Yeah, he certainly has an axe to grind. I hope there really is a PT program hes going to so maybe he will stop spending so much time flaming podiatry. It's so trifling and sad.

You really think he can get into a PT school:laugh:

For those reading this who haven't started the process I can tell you that the poster above quite simply doesn't have his "facts" straight. His understanding of the loan process is simply non-existent. This forum has a lot of members who mean well, but post misinformation. They are young, they don't understand the process, they repeat their best guess of what others have said. In time they will understand. The poster above is deliberately deceitful and shouldn't be trusted or listened to. Those with legitimate concerns who would like to be educated on the loan process should simply ask and eventually an informed poster will assist you.

lol. how am i hating on podiatry. I only speak facts, i don't make up what i say. to spend 200k with no gaurantees is a huge risk. People need to be warned, your parents money is on the line, including their well-being, if u dont succeed you can indirectly effect their wallet and health since you won't be able to get out of debt w/o your parents help if you dropout or get kicked out, schools wont tell them this info. since they want your money. Also make sure financially your going to be able to secure loans for all 4 years, b/c their is a maximum amt of loans you can pull out, depending on your credit score, banks wont lend you anymore money up to a certain point. You don't want to get into your 3rd or 4th year loan-less. If you don't get a residency than may the heavens be kind. Again the real-world is much different than what you've been imagining. the difference is that MD/DO and the other health professions are gauranteed. You don't find many job ads for podiatrists, if it is its usually a part-time or per diem position clipping toenails in nursing homes. Again, in this economy, not many people are going to want surgery. i saw plenty of ppl with bunions and hammertoes, telling the podiatrist that surgery is not an option for them since they have jobs. Surgery will mean they wont be able to walk for a time which could in effect cost them their jobs. Yes sum1 will need a brain or heart surgery to save their lives, or an oncologist, but feet can wait. 80% of the patients were coming in for toenail clipping.
I actually laughed out loud reading this one.

;)
I'm sorry but my facts are correct. There is no residency shortage for MD/DO. They in fact have an oversurplus...

Not for long buddy! By 2015 the number of residencies positions are going to equal the number Med graduates from US med schools. That's means graduates from Caribbean med schools could be potentially locked out from us residencies if programs give preference to US grads. That's not to mention that specialized residencies are to become even more competitive then they are now! That's will leave many students who have worked to be a surgeon with a dilemma of either change career choice or wait a year to match in a program following year (same problem you present for pod grads). In closing, MD/DO/DPM will all be in the same boat, and that's working extremely hard to pass classes and boards just at a shot to be looked at your top residency choice.

And if you're wondering where my info is coming from, it comes from my boss at a hospital I interned at in undergrad. She's an MD and director of medical education (in charge of hospitals residencies), so I'm assuming its her job to know what the outlook for the profession is!

lol. how am i hating on podiatry. I only speak facts, i don't make up what i say. to spend 200k with no gaurantees is a huge risk. People need to be warned, your parents money is on the line, including their well-being, if u dont succeed you can indirectly effect their wallet and health since you won't be able to get out of debt w/o your parents help if you dropout or get kicked out, schools wont tell them this info. since they want your money. Also make sure financially your going to be able to secure loans for all 4 years, b/c their is a maximum amt of loans you can pull out, depending on your credit score, banks wont lend you anymore money up to a certain point. You don't want to get into your 3rd or 4th year loan-less. If you don't get a residency than may the heavens be kind. Again the real-world is much different than what you've been imagining. the difference is that MD/DO and the other health professions are gauranteed. You don't find many job ads for podiatrists, if it is its usually a part-time or per diem position clipping toenails in nursing homes. Again, in this economy, not many people are going to want surgery. i saw plenty of ppl with bunions and hammertoes, telling the podiatrist that surgery is not an option for them since they have jobs. Surgery will mean they wont be able to walk for a time which could in effect cost them their jobs. Yes sum1 will need a brain or heart surgery to save their lives, or an oncologist, but feet can wait. 80% of the patients were coming in for toenail clipping.

you seem very sincere and thank you so much for keeping it real. you've spent an inordinate amount of time writing up lengthy comments that im sure everyone appreciates!

so how's life with PT?

Np, anytime glad to help out. If i do well on the mcat im going to try to go the MD/DO route. If not, my options are DNP/NA, carribb medschool, PT or DPM. So my options are wide open. I'd lean more towards...DPT/DNP. If i dont get into MD/DO. I did apply to PA schools already and a few PT programs (got in 1), but didn't get into PA b/c my disadvantage was that i only had 100 hours of healthcare experience. PA requires 1-2 years of healthcare experience, i wouldn't recommend any1 applying if you don't have it. Also another downside is that their class sizes are small only 30-50 students. I did also apply to DPM, got 3 interviews (pre-mcat), even from a school that is not known to give interviews b4 the mcat. However if i do remarkably well, Id say 32+, ill consider taking off a year and shooting for DO/MD.

that's great! since you got into PT why don't you write some comments in the PT section? I'm sure everyone would appreciate your candor!

This kid has the most embarrassingly awful grammar on this forum.

I know of one student who did not get a residency last year. That is because he/she failed part II and lost his/her position.

The shortage is not a catastrophe. In fact I believe every qualified student (i.e every student who passed boards part II) got a residency last year. This information is from my class APMSA representative.

The class of 2013 will be the real test (catastrophe?). Depending on the part II pass rate, there may be a small number of shortages. We will have to wait and see.

lol there's no need to. I have nothing to say for the PT profession. It is what it is. There aren't any problems with the profession from what i know of.

are you sure? i know if my only acceptance so far was into a PT program, id at least drop by and say hello to them. Like, "hey, i got into this school!," type of thing. im sure they would congratulate you and welcome you with open arms.

on behalf of pre-pods everywhere, we salute you. good job!

Np, anytime glad to help out. If i do well on the mcat im going to try to go the MD/DO route. If not, my options are DNP/NA, carribb medschool, PT or DPM. So my options are wide open. I'd lean more towards...DPT/DNP. If i dont get into MD/DO. I did apply to PA schools already and a few PT programs (got in 1), but didn't get into PA b/c my disadvantage was that i only had 100 hours of healthcare experience. PA requires 1-2 years of healthcare experience, i wouldn't recommend any1 applying if you don't have it. Also another downside is that their class sizes are small only 30-50 students. I did also apply to DPM, got 3 interviews (pre-mcat), even from a school that is not known to give interviews b4 the mcat. However if i do remarkably well, Id say 32+, ill consider taking off a year and shooting for DO/MD.

Seriously kid, why bother "warning" people. Anyone who even knows what Podiatry is probably knows enough about it to make an informed decision. Let people be an enjoy it.

You could always go to the Pre-Osteo/Allo in the "comeback" threads.

But I know you're just a very clever troll.

Seriously kid, why bother "warning" people. Anyone who even knows what Podiatry is probably knows enough about it to make an informed decision. Let people be an enjoy it.

You could always go to the Pre-Osteo/Allo in the "comeback" threads.

But I know you're just a very clever troll.

He is not very clever...

are you sure? i know if my only acceptance so far was into a PT program, id at least drop by and say hello to them. Like, "hey, i got into this school!," type of thing. im sure they would congratulate you and welcome you with open arms.

on behalf of pre-pods everywhere, we salute you. good job!

Naaahhh... he's doing great here :D. I made this short visit to congratulate him...

SO Congrats! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

No need to stop by ;)

I'm surprised that no one commented on this post. I find it sad that the OP apparently doesn't know what he/she wants. I want to be an MD, and if that doesn't work out, I want to be a DO. If that doesn't work I may try a foreign MD degree, though being a PA sounds decent. Or maybe I'll become an NP, although a PT may be good. And if that doesn't work I may actually settle for the DPM thing?????????????

It sounds like a child saying I want to be a cowboy, but maybe a fireman, or possibly a cop, but I'm also considering being a butcher, baker or candlestick maker.

Come on, decide what you want to do, set goals and achieve your goals. Don't simply look to have extra initials after your name. You've got to choose a profession you will enjoy and want to be involved with, not "settle" by default.

Instead of spending your time discussing the negatives of the DPM degree, why don't you spend the time figuring out the ONE profession you'd really like to enter.

And by the way, I'd love to know the source of your information that the average Caribbean MCAT score was 27 and GPA was 3.4. Because if you believe that, I've got some land I'd like to sell you.....

It is always good to keep eyes open on many aspects of entering the health care fields, but I would say it might be better to narrow the field a bit more before moving to the next steps.
My 2 cents. If your desire is the utmost level of job security and placement, NP PA is probably something to look into more. It is just the ways things are going to be is that these para health professionals will be doing more and more. Which is not neccesarily a bad thing, there already is a shortage of physicians and will only get worse, have the physician do things that need that level of training, pawn off easy stuff to the NP, PA etc.
As for DPM: First off anyone who still hosts a site using angelfire I do not have respect for, it is not 1998 anymore. Second you have no idea who wrote that site, could be a failed DPM student, someone who did not get in, someone shut down due to malpractice. I have been looking around for any indication of forums or other boards where there is an overall theme of "do not enter" and I am not just finding it. Second there are stories about DPM's that make 60k when an attending and even PADPM has mentioned this exists. Some of that comes down to of what one DPM I shadowed said that your residency sets the whole tone for what your career will become. Good residency will open you up to jobs that pay well Like everything in life there are always people in last place and pay will reflect that. You muddle through school and get a bad residency, then that could get you that 60k job.

As for residencies, even MD/DO is starting to feel the squeeze and IMGs are F(*&^cked after 2016 (that is one reason why I did not explore the carib MD path for long) A lot can happen in 4 years, maybe they will open more or more can get cut. As of now it seems most students who are eligible get residencies. At DMU all but 2 got placed last year, one lied about a DUI conviction and another got quite ill and had to postpone taking the boards. If you graduate top half and make good connections in school and rotations, then you will get something. A glimmer of hope is in 7-8 years there will be a lot of baby boomers leaving the work force, at my plant HR is expecting a 75% turnover in 5 years. With that many leaving the work place, that bodes well for this coming crop.

It is always good to keep eyes open on many aspects of entering the health care fields, but I would say it might be better to narrow the field a bit more before moving to the next steps.
My 2 cents. If your desire is the utmost level of job security and placement, NP PA is probably something to look into more. It is just the ways things are going to be is that these para health professionals will be doing more and more. Which is not neccesarily a bad thing, there already is a shortage of physicians and will only get worse, have the physician do things that need that level of training, pawn off easy stuff to the NP, PA etc.
As for DPM: First off anyone who still hosts a site using angelfire I do not have respect for, it is not 1998 anymore. Second you have no idea who wrote that site, could be a failed DPM student, someone who did not get in, someone shut down due to malpractice. I have been looking around for any indication of forums or other boards where there is an overall theme of "do not enter" and I am not just finding it. Second there are stories about DPM's that make 60k when an attending and even PADPM has mentioned this exists. Some of that comes down to of what one DPM I shadowed said that your residency sets the whole tone for what your career will become. Good residency will open you up to jobs that pay well Like everything in life there are always people in last place and pay will reflect that. You muddle through school and get a bad residency, then that could get you that 60k job.

As for residencies, even MD/DO is starting to feel the squeeze and IMGs are F(*&^cked after 2016 (that is one reason why I did not explore the carib MD path for long) A lot can happen in 4 years, maybe they will open more or more can get cut. As of now it seems most students who are eligible get residencies. At DMU all but 2 got placed last year, one lied about a DUI conviction and another got quite ill and had to postpone taking the boards. If you graduate top half and make good connections in school and rotations, then you will get something. A glimmer of hope is in 7-8 years there will be a lot of baby boomers leaving the work force, at my plant HR is expecting a 75% turnover in 5 years. With that many leaving the work place, that bodes well for this coming crop.

Regarding the 60k pod, is there any background story behind this? Or do they just know the person's salary? It could be a part-time job, maybe the doc has kids to take of. 60k sounds like a ridiculously low salary, no offense.

Regarding the 60k pod, is there any background story behind this? Or do they just know the person's salary? It could be a part-time job, maybe the doc has kids to take of. 60k sounds like a ridiculously low salary, no offense.

60k seems to be looming just above the 10th percentile of wages...which is crazy low. It would be interesting to find out the terms of this contract (cost of living, part-time work, location, privileges, overhead).

Even so, I imagine at 60k, paying off loans and living a frugal lifestyle isn't impossible if you have a partner that has a decent paying job. Depends on what your priorities are...tons of free time vs fast cars, fast money, and fast women

I'd also like to point out that NOT all PA schools require shadowing hours....I was wait listed at PA school with 0 hours other than shadowing a PA right out of college. The Caribbean Med school numbers he listed are also crap! I have friends that didnt make it to DPM and now are headed to St George's...Oh and good luck with DNP
From what I've seen - working everyday in surgery in several hospitals- DNP's are the LEAST respected health care profession in a hospital at any given time...