Question about reporting IA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atrmnky

Reaction score
I know there are a million threads about this, but I wasn't able to find one that fit my specific situation.

I contacted my school's conduct office before submitting my primary, and they told me that the only thing on my disciplinary record was a minor alcohol thing (resulted in a warning, nothing else) from freshman year. I emailed them back to confirm that this was truly the only thing on my record, and they confirmed with me yes. As a result, I selected yes for the IA prompt on AMCAS and self-disclosed the alcohol violation.

Flash forward to now, and I have submitted a bunch of secondaries already. Boston U's secondary rolls around and they tell me that I need a letter from my school clarifying the IA on my primary. I email the conduct office again to see if they can do this for me, but in the process, they tell me that in addition to the alcohol violation, I ALSO received a noise violation on the same day as the alcohol stuff (both are filed under the same incident report). However, they forgot to tell me this when I emailed them back in May (even after asking them to confirm with me), and thus since I didn't know, I only talked about the alcohol violation in my primary.

Am I being neurotic, or should I tell all my medical schools that I just found about the noise violation today? Both violations fall under the same incident, and I did in fact report that on xx/xx/xxxx, I had IA taken against me for alcohol - I just didn't mention that there was also a noise violation the same day. Reslife only mentioned the alcohol stuff when I met with them freshman year, so I was truly unaware until now :(

Members don't see this ad.

you are being neurotic, I wouldnt worry about it. However,ignorance is no defense. It is your responsibility to have known from the original incident from freshman year. If you are asked for a letter from yourself to the dean, you will say "due my oversight, I neglected to mention this incident led to both alcohol and noise IA" etc

Thanks for replying so quick, I really appreciate all you do for SDN. I agree that ignorance is no defense. I fully intend to be honest with BU now that I know about the noise violation, but was worried about the other schools I applied to, since it's too late to update primaries and secondaries. Just to clarify, it's fine if I don't email/call my other schools about this, correct?

It is not an issue and I wouldnt be concerned at all; certainly do not contact schools about this unless asked

Sorry to dig this up again, but I emailed my school's pre-professional office, and they told me to email all of my schools to update them about this oversight. I know that historically they aren't the best source of help, but I do want to make sure I don't get in any sort of trouble for not being honest. Do you think there are any consequences for not contacting all of my schools, versus contacting them?

Haha yeah, seems pretty silly if you put it that way. Thanks for being the voice of reason and answering my questions! This goes to show that A) I should go back to avoiding my preprof advising and B) quarantine is definitely messing with my head

Reactions: 1 user