Question about reapplying for OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OpenReduction

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not get a score that I want on July 2022 CBSE exam and am trying to decide whether I should just apply for a categorical position or look for a non-cat position and apply next cycle. I believe that with my score (60-65 old score), I might get a few interview invites if I am lucky, but have a very low chance of matching. My question is if I was invited for an interview at a certain program, does that automatically disqualify my application for that program next cycle even with an improved application? I know this happened to a friend of mine. When he applied the first time, he got 10+ interview invites, but he didn't match. The next cycle he reapplied with an improved application. He got around 10 interview invites, but none were from the programs that interviewed him already.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did not get a score that I want on July 2022 CBSE exam and am trying to decide whether I should just apply for a categorical position or look for a non-cat position and apply next cycle. I believe that with my score (60-65 old score), I might get a few interview invites if I am lucky, but have a very low chance of matching. My question is if I was invited for an interview at a certain program, does that automatically disqualify my application for that program next cycle even with an improved application? I know this happened to a friend of mine. When he applied the first time, he got 10+ interview invites, but he didn't match. The next cycle he reapplied with an improved application. He got around 10 interview invites, but none were from the programs that interviewed him already.
No, programs do not disqualify you. Tons of people are applying multiple cycles, it’s what you have to do. There could be a hundred reasons those programs may not have invited your friend the 2nd time.

Agreed, there is no way programs are keeping track of all the residents that apply and comparing them to the new cycle applicants and elimination prior applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell me how did you know your score is 60-65 in old score system ? Thanks

No, programs do not disqualify you. Tons of people are applying multiple cycles, it’s what you have to do. There could be a hundred reasons those programs may not have invited your friend the 2nd time.
Agreed, there is no way programs are keeping track of all the residents that apply and comparing them to the new cycle applicants and elimination prior applicants.
I don't compare year to year unless I have a personal relationship or knowledge of an applicant. You get invited base on the applicant pool. Some years are up and some are down.
It sounds like skipping the current cycle and just applying for a non-cat position may not be the most prudent idea. Thank you for your input! I appreciate it!

Can you tell me how did you know your score is 60-65 in old score system ? Thanks
Screenshot_20220813-170913_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220811-122232_Chrome.jpg
I am just guessing based on these charts that I found on SDN. I have no idea how accurate these are though.

Reactions: 2 users
That is the table that OMS PD's were provided. It was supposed to be "secret". But I have no idea why they want it kept secret.

Thank you so much for the insight. Would it be safe to list this converted score on our CVs and supplementals as our score, or air on the side of reporting only the EPC%?

While I understand that we do upload the unofficial score report and that PDs are accustomed to this being 1 cycle deep into the mixed score reports, my slight concern is that my 65% EPC (which converts to a 71) looks a bit less appealing at a cursory glance when we report this on various supplemental applications that only request a digit score.

Appreciate your time as always, doctor!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for the insight. Would it be safe to list this converted score on our CVs and supplementals as our score, or air on the side of reporting only the EPC%?

While I understand that we do upload the unofficial score report and that PDs are accustomed to this being 1 cycle deep into the mixed score reports, my slight concern is that my 65% EPC (which converts to a 71) looks a bit less appealing at a cursory glance when we report this on various supplemental applications that only request a digit score.

Appreciate your time as always, doctor!

Seems like since it's "secret" it shouldn't be listed. I do hate that my score is lower because of some meaningless conversion. The psychological impact of 99 cents vs $1 is real.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep applying and never stop. If you need a non-categorical than do it and re-take the CBSE and you should be golden.
(many grains of salt - not an OS, just a GP with many OS friends).