Question about Program Signals in ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IdkLol2049

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently doing the supplemental app and I'm having difficulty which programs to signal. I am a US DO, my Step 1 was a 231 and Step 2 was a 249. Comlex scores were in the 600s for both if that matters. I am interested in a solid IM residency then maybe fellowship. Currently I am planning on applying to some reaches like Dartmouth, Temple, Wake Forest, Georgetown, Pennsy, UMass, etc. Actually, I have no idea if those are reaches or not which brings me to my question.

Would it be reasonable to signal some of those programs? Or would that basically be wasting a signal?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's no right answer to your question. Signals are (relatively) new, having just started last year. It's unclear how seriously programs will consider them. I would assume that most programs will review your application more closely, as you've essentially told them that they are one of your top 7 choices. Review program websites for exam minimums and other requirements, because a signal is unlikely to make programs waive those.

I expect that most people use some signals on their "reaches", and some on programs where they expect they will be competitive. What proportion should go to each is your choice.