Question about Physics prereq.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funnycolby

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have a quick question about the Physics offered at my school. According to my Pre-med adviser, I can either take "Introduction to Physics for the Life Sciences" 1 and 2 or General Physics 1 and 2. She assured me medical schools would accept either one. However, I am skeptical. I am currently registered for intro physics for the life sciences. Should I change it?

Members don't see this ad.

I went through the same thing. I contacted multiple medical schools inquiring about this and they reassured me the same answer you were given.

Reactions: 1 users
I went through the same thing. I contacted multiple medical schools inquiring about this and they reassured me the same answer you were given.
Awesome! Thanks for letting me know! Did you end up taking the life sciences physics? If so, did you like it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Thanks for letting me know! Did you end up taking the life sciences physics? If so, did you like it?
No I actually ended up taking the non-calc based physics. It was either college or general I cant remember.

Reactions: 1 user
No I actually ended up taking the non-calc based physics. It was either college or general I cant remember.
Would you recommend getting into a section of Gen Physics instead or should this suffice? I really don't want to come across any roadblocks in the admissions process. My adviser Highly recommended the life sciences course.

If the medical school accepts it then it doesn't matter which you decide. I personally had a terrible physics professor and ended up self teaching myself it solely for the MCAT.

Would you recommend getting into a section of Gen Physics instead or should this suffice? I really don't want to come across any roadblocks in the admissions process. My adviser Highly recommended the life sciences course.

Many schools have a physics for nursing majors and/or physics for nonscience majors. These do not satisfy the physics prerequisite.

Many schools also have a physics for life science majors. These do count especially if the school tells you it satisfies the premed prerequisite. Howeve, this physics for life science majors may or may not be enough if you choose to major in chemistry or biochemistry. Ie. your school's chemistry or biochemistry department may or may not accept the physics for life sciences to satisfy the department's physics requirement. You might want to check this.

Many schools have a physics for nursing majors and/or physics for nonscience majors. These do not satisfy the physics prerequisite.

Many schools also have a physics for life science majors. These do count especially if the school tells you it satisfies the premed prerequisite. Howeve, this physics for life science majors may or may not be enough if you choose to major in chemistry or biochemistry. Ie. your school's chemistry or biochemistry department may or may not accept the physics for life sciences to satisfy the department's physics requirement. You might want to check this.
I'm a psychology major, so I should be fine in that area. I would just hate to complete the life sciences physics and come across a med school i'm interested in that doesn't accept it, or has a gen physics preference. Taking the life sciences wouldn't put me at a disadvantage would it?

Hi guys! I have a quick question about the Physics offered at my school. According to my Pre-med adviser, I can either take "Introduction to Physics for the Life Sciences" 1 and 2 or General Physics 1 and 2. She assured me medical schools would accept either one. However, I am skeptical. I am currently registered for intro physics for the life sciences. Should I change it?

Either one will suffice. Be sure to focus on understanding the concepts as opposed to calculations and memorization. Be advised that the MCAT is about understanding and not about detailed calculations as you do in physics homework.