Question about non-trad ERAS activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYABC

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I'm about 10 years out from undergrad, I then I went to grad school and finally medical school. In between that I was trying to figure out what I wanted to with my life (until grad school) and then when I finally figured it I and was doing jobs to get clinical experience and my post-bacc to get pre-med classes. This means that I worked a few random jobs (scribing 2x, research job, tutoring, restaurant server, and 2 internships related to my grad degree).

I'm not sure at all how to mention these on ERAS. I fortunately have several longitudinal, strong activities during medical school that relate to my speciality of choice, and I did well in medical school. Does anyone have any advice about this, or have some way they went about it? I almost don't want to mention any of these random jobs and just mention the last 2 years before medical school (research and a scribe/interpreter job). Otherwise I could group some of the jobs together, although some of them (like the scribing jobs) were for different hospitals. I'm so lost and confused, and my Dean isn't helping with any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I feel it's important to have continuity in your application unless your PS or supplemental presents a clear and obvious picture of the timeline (living an ashram abroad, etc). If there are too many odd jobs, then I would try to figure out how to group them. Otherwise, as long as you have good reasons for leaving, working in a variety of settings may actually benefit you by demonstrating a breadth of experience that most traditional students lack.

You could have a single work experience titled “nonmedical jobs.” Just list all of them in chronological order and show no gaps in your timeline

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You could have a single work experience titled “nonmedical jobs.” Just list all of them in chronological order and show no gaps in your timeline

What do you think about this for a traditional student? I worked throughout high school and undergrad so have had random jobs during the school year and summer jobs. So far I've only listed my full-time jobs or teaching jobs.

Is there any value in listing random high school/customer service/summer/work-study jobs I've had given that it would not be to show that there aren't any gaps in my timeline since I was in school the entire time?

What do you think about this for a traditional student? I worked throughout high school and undergrad so have had random jobs during the school year and summer jobs. So far I've only listed my full-time jobs or teaching jobs.

Is there any value in listing random high school/customer service/summer/work-study jobs I've had given that it would not be to show that there aren't any gaps in my timeline since I was in school the entire time?
Also fine.

There is some value to listing crappy high school/customer service type jobs, IMO. Means you know how to juggle your responsibilities and manage your time.