Question about new PRR requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podiatryrookie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, this is a question for current third year residents. The PRR website states it will add 8 cases to the “ first ray” category however in my case this has not occurred. I have met all other requirements and have plenty extra “ other osseous” numbers.
i wanted to know your experience with this.

Members don't see this ad.

It is my understanding that they have not added any additional cases but rather lowered the number required. For example the requirement is now 62 vs the old 70. I can’t remember how many we actually need, just an example. The MAV requirements have also been fully waived from my understanding which shows up when you run the MAV report.

The MAV requirement before was a complete joke. Did they really remove the minimum cases required to graduate? Wow...

The MAV requirement before was a complete joke. Did they really remove the minimum cases required to graduate? Wow...
They lowered the total number of cases need by a percentage, I don’t remember exactly how much but think 10-15% secondary to covid. Then waived the diversity requirements for this year.

I’m in Michigan and we were shut down for almost 3 consecutive months in the first wave. Fortunately our program carries a large volume so we were ok, unfortunately not all residents are in as busy of programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They lowered the total number of cases need by a percentage, I don’t remember exactly how much but think 10-15% secondary to covid. Then waived the diversity requirements for this year.

I’m in Michigan and we were shut down for almost 3 consecutive months in the first wave. Fortunately our program carries a large volume so we were ok, unfortunately not all residents are in as busy of programs.

Any program that couldn’t get residents numbers because of covid really should be re-evaluated in terms of its qualifications to continue existing. I would think the good Michigan programs could have shut down for a year and a half and still gotten residents their numbers. A few months of only pus and trauma, with electives being banned, should have absolutely zero effect on a programs ability to get their residents the 200 and some odd cases it takes to graduate. Sad.

Any program that couldn’t get residents numbers because of covid really should be re-evaluated in terms of its qualifications to continue existing. I would think the good Michigan programs could have shut down for a year and a half and still gotten residents their numbers. A few months of only pus and trauma, with electives being banned, should have absolutely zero effect on a programs ability to get their residents the 200 and some odd cases it takes to graduate. Sad.

HOT TAKE... all of these garbage programs should be graduating chiropodists.

You fail any classes in pod school, chiropodist. Right away. No retakes, no nothing. Slackers, we have a special class for chiropodists. You are sucking: right to chiropody. Graduated bottom of your class: right to chiropody, right away. Quintuple scrubbed cases: chiropody. No cases: chiropody. You take more than 5 minutes to do a toe amp: you right to chiropody. You spend all week in clinic while attending is golfing? Believe it or not, chiropody. You put ACE wrap on too tightly, also chiropody. Under tighten, over tighten. You finish residency without at least doubling MAV, believe it or not, chiropody, right away. We have the best podiatrists in the world because of chiropody.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You take more than 5 minutes to do a toe amp: you right to chiropody.

I get your point and agree, but you are solidly wrong on amps. Chiropodists do quick amps. They have no respect for tissue. They do not perform proper irrigation (shoot takes a couple minutes to properly irrigate). They do not balance as necessary (tenotomies to prevent chiropodist whittling disease). They fail to perform proper closure and have high wounding rate (it’s always the patients fault as a chiropodist). They apply an single gauze and ACE instead of a compression dressing.

We can go on and on...

I get your point and agree, but you are solidly wrong on amps. Chiropodists do quick amps. They have no respect for tissue. They do not perform proper irrigation (shoot takes a couple minutes to properly irrigate). They do not balance as necessary (tenotomies to prevent chiropodist whittling disease). They fail to perform proper closure and have high wounding rate (it’s always the patients fault as a chiropodist). They apply an single gauze and ACE instead of a compression dressing.

We can go on and on...

Bahahaha. Yea, sure thing.

I think a lot of programs during covid were not allowed to have residents in the room with their attending.

Im not sure how long that lasted but with two shutdowns/waves they lost a huge chunk of training.

Obviously this will vary state by state and county by county but a lot of residents really got hurt getting their numbers over the last year and a half.

We can go on and on...
Toe amps are the hardest easy procedure IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
I think a lot of programs during covid were not allowed to have residents in the room with their attending.

Im not sure how long that lasted but with two shutdowns/waves they lost a huge chunk of training.

Oh I’m sure it hurt their training, but the program I went to could have been shut down for a year and we could have still hit our MAVs.

I practice in a very restrictive state from a covid lockdown standpoint and if I had residents there would have only been maybe a couple months where there weren’t elective cases and/or they might not be allowed to scrub for PPE reasons. So I can’t imagine we are talking about more than a couple months in most cases and maybe 6 months at the most in which they would have been unable to log cases. And I would be very surprised if anyone actually had 6 months where they couldn’t get any log-able trauma or elective surgery.

No way. Hardware removal. Hands down.
1621950371947.png

"Yea hi OR front desk, can I just squeeze in a quick 15 minute hardware removal before Dr. Bigshot's case?"

...45 minutes into the case you ponder the previous statement you made while the Midas Rex throws metal all over the wound and your scrub tech is zoned out with the frazier tip suctioning nothing while pressed against skin...

Oh I’m sure it hurt their training, but the program I went to could have been shut down for a year and we could have still hit our MAVs.

I practice in a very restrictive state from a covid lockdown standpoint and if I had residents there would have only been maybe a couple months where there weren’t elective cases and/or they might not be allowed to scrub for PPE reasons. So I can’t imagine we are talking about more than a couple months in most cases and maybe 6 months at the most in which they would have been unable to log cases. And I would be very surprised if anyone actually had 6 months where they couldn’t get any log-able trauma or elective surgery.
I agree. Probably 6 months. But thats 1/6 of your training. A lot of programs 1st year is mostly medicine. So thats now potentially 1/4 of your traning.

I agree any good program would be able to recover that but it would still suck.

I know at the program I did I talked with my director and they were doing E learning surgery (yes, thats correct). Elective cases were not going on anymore and residents were not allowed to scrub trauma/diabetic stuff as they wanted as few people in the room as possible. Not sure how long that lasted.

Regardless Im pretty happy that I didnt have to go through residency with Covid. 1/6 of training is a lot of training.