New PRR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2014786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else think the new PRR is awful? So many missing features and very confusing to use. Wish they kept the old one

Members don't see this ad.

Change from the norm always sucks at first and usually gets better.

But I agree... It's terrible and adds time to logging. I don't understand what was wrong with the old system.

Anyone having issues submitting new entries? Nothing happens after clicking the Save/Close, Submit, and the Submit&Duplicate buttons. Thought it might be a browser issue but I'm unable to submit in Safari/Chrome/FF. The cancel button works though :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Why we still aren't logging based on CPT codes is beyond me. I guess when you have programs with residents logging questionable cases into ambiguous categories to get enough procedures for RRA cert, it's unlikely to change...

Reactions: 1 user
Why we still aren't logging based on CPT codes is beyond me. I guess when you have programs with residents logging questionable cases into ambiguous categories to get enough procedures for RRA cert, it's unlikely to change...
The more I deal with my own coding, the more I realize that CPT codes aren't really that great either. There are people that "un-bundle" CPT codes just like they do logging. I'd say that there is much more ambiguity in CPT codes than there are in the way things are logged now, actually. I'm certainly not arguing that PRR should stay as is, all I'm saying is that CPT codes aren't any better in my opinion.

The more I deal with my own coding, the more I realize that CPT codes aren't really that great either. There are people that "un-bundle" CPT codes just like they do logging. I'd say that there is much more ambiguity in CPT codes than there are in the way things are logged now, actually. I'm certainly not arguing that PRR should stay as is, all I'm saying is that CPT codes aren't any better in my opinion.

Un-bundling procedures in PRR is not the issue. What can and cannot be logged together is fairly clear and you could flag CPT codes just the same. Using "other rearfoot surgery" when you do a BKA off service in order to beef up your rearfoot numbers is a problem. Same goes for logging ankle/rearfoot I&Ds as "other" in the rearfoot soft tissue category. The fact that a fibula ORIF, a bimal, a trimal, and a pilon all look the same in PRR logs despite significantly different levels of difficulty/skill is a problem. And ankle fusions, STJ fusions and TTC fusions are all the same in PRR.

On top of all that, regardless of anyone's opinion on CPT codes, the fact is that we will be using them to bill in practice. Why would you not want our logging process to actually have some practical, real world application?

Un-bundling procedures in PRR is not the issue. What can and cannot be logged together is fairly clear and you could flag CPT codes just the same. Using "other rearfoot surgery" when you do a BKA off service in order to beef up your rearfoot numbers is a problem. Same goes for logging ankle/rearfoot I&Ds as "other" in the rearfoot soft tissue category. The fact that a fibula ORIF, a bimal, a trimal, and a pilon all look the same in PRR logs despite significantly different levels of difficulty/skill is a problem. And ankle fusions, STJ fusions and TTC fusions are all the same in PRR.

On top of all that, regardless of anyone's opinion on CPT codes, the fact is that we will be using them to bill in practice. Why would you not want our logging process to actually have some practical, real world application?
You have some valid points. I think that the biggest advantage it would have is getting used to codes for when you are in practice. The issues you bring up with logging a BKA or I&D as other rearfoot surgery are more about residents that feel the need to cheat to get their numbers, whether that is because they otherwise wouldn't get their numbers or because they want to boost their numbers to impress. Logging by CPT would potentially improve that and the other issue you mentioned about all ankle/pilon fractures being logged the same. I must have forgotten that since I don't use PRR anymore. My only point is logging by CPT codes is not a perfect system either and I think that there are enough ambiguities with CPT codes to make other issues pop up. For CPT, a partial first ray resection is 2 procedures, a digital amputation as well as a partial metatarsal resection. I think it's a single procedure in PRR (and probably should be). An Achilles detach/reattach is 2 CPT codes but 1 PRR procedure I think.

You may be right and logging by CPT codes may be a big improvement. With the way it is now, at least some of the procedures can be customized and maybe that would be a better way to do it is have PRR have separate logging options for bimal, trimal, pilon, etc. That way it could be customized for podiatry specifically. For example, there is no specific CPT code for a partial calcanectomy. I don't think we'll ever have a perfect system, but logging by CPT does have some advantages, I agree

The new PRR is a low budget, terrible abomination of a website. Agree that logging should be by CPT codes, and should be keyword searchable.

I think CPT would be ideal, there is nothing more annoying than fixing a trimal, but getting the same credit for taking 30 minutes to fix a fibula. turrible.