Question about military pod

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geo16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched and found few mixed responses on this forum.
Some say that it's discontinued and some say that pod student can't receive full tuition.

However I've found these:

Navy:
https://www.navy.com/careers/healthcare/clinical-care/podiatry.html#ft-education-opportunities

In the Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) you can receive 100% tuition assistance while completing an eligible podiatry education program plus a monthly stipend of $2,200 to help cover living expenses for up to 48 months.

Army:
http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/amedd-categories/medical-service-corps-jobs/podiatrist.html

In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses.

Would this be true? Can Podiatry students earn full-tuition from the military?

Members don't see this ad.

I've searched and found few mixed responses on this forum.
Some say that it's discontinued and some say that pod student can't receive full tuition.

However I've found these:

Navy:
https://www.navy.com/careers/healthcare/clinical-care/podiatry.html#ft-education-opportunities

In the Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) you can receive 100% tuition assistance while completing an eligible podiatry education program plus a monthly stipend of $2,200 to help cover living expenses for up to 48 months.

Army:
http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/amedd-categories/medical-service-corps-jobs/podiatrist.html

In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses.

Would this be true? Can Podiatry students earn full-tuition from the military?

Umaru has blond hair.

Members don't see this ad :)
Navy:

Pretty sure a few 2nd years from my school applied for this one. Don't remember if they were accepted or not. Pretty awesome- HOWEVER.

Not sure if this is true or not, but isn't the requirement for this to complete a VA residency- Most of which are not RRA certified (as I understand it). So, I think the deal is you get free schooling, but no RRA certified post grad training, which does limit future job opportunities. I remember a conversation about this vaguely with a 4th year. I'm not entirely certain about it, but I think that is the deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure a few 2nd years from my school applied for this one. Don't remember if they were accepted or not. Pretty awesome- HOWEVER.

Not sure if this is true or not, but isn't the requirement for this to complete a VA residency- Most of which are not RRA certified (as I understand it). So, I think the deal is you get free schooling, but no RRA certified post grad training, which does limit future job opportunities. I remember a conversation about this vaguely with a 4th year. I'm not entirely certain about it, but I think that is the deal.
Pretty sure there is no requirement for a VA residency, but not 100% certain, a recruiter would know for sure. There are some decent VA residencies out there in any case. There were I think 3 or 4 from my school who did the Navy HPSP, which was the only one available at least in the past. I don't think the Army offers it for podiatrists.

AWESOME.
I just might continue my career in the military. I mean, it's not like I can't. Unless they would kick my out :p

Aw bloody hell how did I miss that.
SDN is getting too edgy and millenial-like.
I mean, we had this 'Donald J. Trump' dude parodying Trump on Pre-DO. That guy is insane.
And I am just proud to be that number :p

I remember somebody saying that because podiatry is so small and the openings are so few that some recruiters don't even know about HPSP for podiatry—so I wouldn't be surprised if you get mixed information, even from recruiters. But there are people currently in it so it should still be available unless they just stopped it in the last year or so.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I remember somebody saying that because podiatry is so small and the openings are so few that some recruiters don't even know about HPSP for podiatry—so I wouldn't be surprised if you get mixed information, even from recruiters. But there are people currently in it so it should still be available unless they just stopped it in the last year or so.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile
Yeah, a recruiter (Army Health) said there would be not HPSP, but Army residency + loan repayment.
Only Navy offers HPSP for Podiatry.