Question about joining the USAF Reserve Dental Corp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental Dammit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Questions for any USAF Dental Reservists. I've always wanted to join the military and with this economy the way it's going, USAF reserve may be the good choice for me. But I have my doubts and any help from USAF reservists would be great in my decision making. I'm about to graduate from a GPR program, have no experience and probably will end up in California, where dentists are dime a dozen, the state is near bankrupt, and a pile of D-school loans to my neck. Thanks in advance! -dental dammit

1) have you been deployed? if so, how often do you see reservist getting deployed and for how long? i'm trying to get a job somewhere and i want to be realistic about deployment and how it would affect private practice.

2) what is the total pay? i see 'base' pay, 'special dental' pay, 'officer scale' pay, 'board cert' pay.... etc and can't get a straight answer from recruiter as to what to expect. i believe the weekend, the pay is $400/day and during the two weeks, pay is 'active' pay at around $2500/two weeks. is that correct or a bit lofty?

3) is there still a sign on bonus? the website states $75k for the next three years. i hear west coast is not accepting anybody for primary positions, but in NM or in OK they are. would it be worth committing to a base far from home (CA)?

4) are they rethinking the sign on bonus or the loan repayment pay?

5) how many years do you need to get 'retirement'? 20? 25+?

6) do you like it? think it's worth it? I've wanted to joined as I said before, in some capacity, but would like to hear from someone who doing it.

Thanks again. My recruiter is a goof and speaks with no specifics. Rarely calls back. I think it's cause dentists are feeling the economy and trying to supplement their economy to pay for the Porsche or ex-wife and he is really busy. or doesn't need the business.

D

Members don't see this ad.