Question about GI research - abstracts vs manuscripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gandalf1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've tried to search this online and through the forums but I don't completely understand this. I submitted a few abstracts to ACG this year.

1. If they are accepted, just the abstracts are published in their online supplement to the journal correct? I also have full manuscripts already written for all of the abstracts. Will the manuscripts also be published?

2. Even if my abstracts are accepted to ACG, can I also submit the same ones to DDW or does that look bad?

3. If manuscripts are not published with accepted abstracts, where can I publish my manuscripts? Can I publish manuscripts of abstracts that were accepted at ACG and/or DDW?

4. Any advice on the best GI journals to attempt to publish in that are reasonable and accept med school/residency level projects?

I hope answers to these questions help out others too, since I definitely find the process a little confusing!
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Only what you submitted, which are the abstracts, are published in a supplement.

The conferences do not permit previously presented material at other GI national meetings. Previously presented at Local, state, or regional, are different. I know you don't have the malicious motive, I would recommend against renaming a poster or abstract to resubmit. Shouldn't do it for its own sake, and if one didn't care, although Probably unlikely to get caught, risks getting banned from future national society meetings, and for what?

You can submit your manuscripts to any peer-reviewed journal, which one would depend on the quality of your work and it's rigor, the principal investigator and your research mentor can guide you.
Quality improvement of constipation in post knee replacement orthopedic patients Is still something but won't get published in gastro, but if you've cured IBD in genetically altered knockout mice, it will

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I've tried to search this online and through the forums but I don't completely understand this. I submitted a few abstracts to ACG this year.
Hey guys,

1. If they are accepted, just the abstracts are published in their online supplement to the journal correct? I also have full manuscripts already written for all of the abstracts. Will the manuscripts also be published?

Yes. No.

2. Even if my abstracts are accepted to ACG, can I also submit the same ones to DDW or does that look bad?

Absolutely not. Not only does it look bad, it is strictly against the rules.

3. If manuscripts are not published with accepted abstracts, where can I publish my manuscripts? Can I publish manuscripts of abstracts that were accepted at ACG and/or DDW?

Anywhere. You can and should publish full manuscripts for abstracts accepted to any conference. If you already have those manuscripts done, why are they not submitted*???????? If you are applying for fellowship this year they should have been submitted

4. Any advice on the best GI journals to attempt to publish in that are reasonable and accept med school/residency level projects?

We don’t know the projects, so this is not a reasonable questions. I rec you speak with your mentor and they will help decide on journal

I hope answers to these questions help out others too, since I definitely find the process a little confusing!
Thank you!

Thank you!