Question about current standing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jacobian78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
welcome! If you could do that and get a 3.5 you would be in great shape. If you apply junior year, schools will see what classes you are taking both semesters and might ask for fall grades of senior year so don't slack too much!

I struggled a bit in the beginning of college as well. I decided to take a gap year so my senior grades would be included in my AMCAS gpa. You might want to consider that to improve your chances.

Keep up the good work & kick some butt in the rest of your classes! :luck:

Gracias! I had thought about the possibility of doing a gap year also. Do you know what you plan on doing during yours? My main concern would be that I would need to get a stable income for that year and also keep myself immersed in the science/medicine world. I was also wondering if whether or not I should take another math class and pull an A in it to show that I'm not bad with math. The classes I got C's in were calc II, III, and differential equations, but I got a B in Calc IV and an A in linear algebra. Should I just take Calc V over the summer and pull an A, and leave it at that. I figured if anything, Calc V might prepare me to tame the beast that is P-Chem anyways :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Gracias! I had thought about the possibility of doing a gap year also. Do you know what you plan on doing during yours? My main concern would be that I would need to get a stable income for that year and also keep myself immersed in the science/medicine world. I was also wondering if whether or not I should take another math class and pull an A in it to show that I'm not bad with math. The classes I got C's in were calc II, III, and differential equations, but I got a B in Calc IV and an A in linear algebra. Should I just take Calc V over the summer and pull an A, and leave it at that. I figured if anything, Calc V might prepare me to tame the beast that is P-Chem anyways :laugh:
Wtf? Damn mang, I didn't know calc went that high. It's difficult to advise you on how to spend your gap year because I'm not you and I don't know your application. But if you have a sustained period of high academic performance, I doubt adding another A to the mix will substantially improve your cause. But who knows.

My advice (take with a grain of salt), make sure all of the weak spots on your app are covered (ie: if you lack clinical experience, do some volunteer/paid work in a clinical setting) and then do what makes you happy with the off-time. The more you patch up your weak spots now, the more fun time you can have in your off year.

Haha such is the beauty of going to a school that is on quarters, we bust out all the roman numerals it seems like. Calc IV is just multivariable, which I think at semester schools is normally called Calc II? So calc V is just sort of "Advanced" multivariable, definitely not as intense as the V makes it sound :laugh:

I'm doing a very low key gap year & everything is working out fine. I already have a lot of volunteering & clinical exposure so I really didn't have to get a medically related job if I didn't want to. I decided to spend my off time (since applying took up 75% of my time) training to be an EMT but most schools didn't really care what I did this year because I already had everything I needed done.

In terms of making up for the bad calc grade, doing more math classes wouldn't hurt but it won't really make that gpa jump that much. It's a judgment call.

Haha such is the beauty of going to a school that is on quarters, we bust out all the roman numerals it seems like. Calc IV is just multivariable, which I think at semester schools is normally called Calc II? So calc V is just sort of "Advanced" multivariable, definitely not as intense as the V makes it sound :laugh:

kudos to you my friend for sticking with math. i was a math minor for a good minute, but after calc III, dif EQ and linear i decided that if i have to try this hard in these classes 2 get A's, imagine what headache higher level stat classes and analysis classes are gonna be :eek: haha...so i p***** out...but i dont think 3 C's are gonna hurt you so much, especially in math classes....its def NOT going to HELP...but if you can show a steady trend of improvement and then kick ***** on that physical sci portion of your MCAT, i dont think schools will call your academic prep for med school into question...

in terms of your gap year, i would reccomend trying to find an activity that will make your app stand out, yea, if your lacking in clincal/research def do that, but if that is sufficient, perhaps you can try and look for somthing which you are passionate about and reach some level in distinction in that....the game is just a puzzle and u gotta make sure u find all the right pieces :thumbup: